What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Front Seats

I ordered the Finish Kit 1/19/22. Made final payment 5/18/23. I'm lacking BAG 1522, CA SEAT ASSEMBLY-10.
Identical to Jemer in post #15.

Did seats ship? Any updates?
I saw that post and 2 weeks ago I called Van's about the status of my seats. I was transferred to the shipping dept and the person I spoke with seemed eager to get me info and put me on hold to find out. A few minutes he came back on and his whole demeanor had changed. He had nothing to report, said there was no estimate when my seats would be available and had no estimate when more info could be had. I took that as Van's is keeping everything close to the vest (even if my seats might have been sitting right there in their warehouse ready to ship.) Very discouraging.

Any further news on seats? I haven't heard anything from Van's. To be fair, I've been so busy with work that I haven't been able to call them during the day, either.

Four emails to Van’s and no answer on my back ordered seats, other than Anne Bobbitt telling me “the order has been passed to the shipping department.

I fear the worst….
Carl

Four emails to Van’s and no answer on my back ordered seats, other than Anne Bobbitt telling me “the order has been passed to the shipping department.

I fear the worst….
Carl
I too am waiting on my seats. But now that's the least of my troubles. No hurry on seats with an engine possibly not delivered till fall, if ever.

Well I seen where a guy just received his finishing kit yesterday, and it had the seats in it. Wish we had something from them.

In one of the filings Van’s said they were prioritized shipping orders that bring in cash flow - so, not surprising to see them shipping seats as part of complete kits first. It’s a bit of a bummer though. I’m going to give them a few months to sort it out and then check in again - given that we did not receive any paperwork about changes to our order, I am not concerned about filing a claim.

Like many others, I am also waiting for seats. I placed my finish kit order in August 2021. The kit arrived February 2023.

Prioritizing cash flow makes sense, but hopefully they are also slowly catching up on completing orders that were paid years ago.

In one of the filings Van’s said they were prioritized shipping orders that bring in cash flow - so, not surprising to see them shipping seats as part of complete kits first. It’s a bit of a bummer though. I’m going to give them a few months to sort it out and then check in again - given that we did not receive any paperwork about changes to our order, I am not concerned about filing a claim.
Well, they could take in new orders and that money, then backorder the seats for those new orders. You know, just like they did us.

Well, they could take in new orders and that money, then backorder the seats for those new orders. You know, just like they did us.
Looks like there might be some seats in a box in Kentucky that "won't be needed for a while". I'm sure somebody is trying to track it down.

I am in the boat of waiting on my finishing kit. I just agreed to the new terms and expect that I could get the request for final payment at anytime. I really don't want to make final payment without some guarantee that the seats are going to be included. I recall at some point last summer they said that they wouldn't be charging for major back-ordered parts until they were ready. I don't suppose they are still allowing us to postpone payment on seat if they have no timeline to get them.

Greg provided some definitive information about backordered items (including RV seats) in another thread:

"We have the lists of customers' backordered items and we're working to fulfill those, too. You won't be getting an offer on the web portal for backordered kit items, because we plan to ship those to you without price adjustments."

This is a huge relief.

Here's the link (ignore the text shown):

In another post he reported that they are, indeed, shipping RV-10 seats in new orders (to maintain revenue stream and minimize costly backorders) while also fulfilling existing backorders.

edit: Also, he reaffirmed that they are building seats in-house now because the supplier hasn't kept up plus have doubled prices.

Last edited:
Hopefully they don’t do to you guys what they did to us with the new Aerosun LED wingtips. Just found out today that even though I paid in full and these were on backorder from my wing kit, delivered this fall, I need to file a bankruptcy claim and order them separately from AeroLEDs.

I am glad I found out before the filing deadline.

Hopefully they don’t do to you guys what they did to us with the new Aerosun LED wingtips. Just found out today that even though I paid in full and these were on backorder from my wing kit, delivered this fall, I need to file a bankruptcy claim and order them separately from AeroLEDs.

I am glad I found out before the filing deadline.

Pure speculation: I wonder if it is because AeroLED has ceased deliveries to Van's because of the bankruptcy / money owed. Hope this doesn't become a widespread issue with their other vendors. Out of curiosity, do you know if they still offer the Aerosuns in their store?

According to AeroLEDs, vans has returned their inventory to them. I happened to call Vans yesterday about something else and thankfully they notified me of some prior announcement I was never provided that AeroLEDs would be handling past/future orders directly.

Not currently listed in store.

Still waiting for seats

I ordered my RV-10 Finish Kit in Jun 2021 and it was delivered Dec 2022.

I ordered the stock wheels and brakes which were backordered, but have now been received.

I am still waiting on the front seats.
Update: I spoke with Vans shipping this week. They said about 25 seats scheduled to go out next week. Another 25 or so end of Feb and 40 in the March/April timeframe. I'm #80 on the list (June 2021 Finish kit order), so March/April for me.

Update: I spoke with Vans shipping this week. They said about 25 seats scheduled to go out next week. Another 25 or so end of Feb and 40 in the March/April timeframe. I'm #80 on the list (June 2021 Finish kit order), so March/April for me.
That's promising news. How did you get through to a person? Each time I call it rolls through the music and then it rings, then more music. So the shipping department was able to tell you where you are in line?
That would be good to know to have an end in sight.
Susan

Interesting since today the word is there are no seats at Vans. They got 10 in and shipped them out. No idea as to when they'd get any more to ship. Supposedly Vans is taking over production. I'm thinking that's not a good thing. The person couldn't tell me where I am on the list. It's very inconsistent the information we are getting from them. Which makes it very frustrating.
Apparently seats have been backordered for years. My question is: Why hasn't this been resolved.? Certainly there must be people with completed planes that can't fly because of no seats.

Update from Van’s. Estimate on my seats being shipped is 6-8 months.

I ordered the finish kit on Febuary 2022. The kit (minus back order stuff) was shipped May 2023. So these seats are estimated to be sent to me two and a half plus years after order (and I’m guessing this is an optimistic estimate).

Rumor has it that current finish kits are being shipped with seats. Can anyone verify this? If so, what are the order dates for these finish kits?

Carl

Update from Van’s. Estimate on my seats being shipped is 6-8 months.

I ordered the finish kit on Febuary 2022. The kit (minus back order stuff) was shipped May 2023. So these seats are estimated to be sent to me two and a half plus years after order (and I’m guessing this is an optimistic estimate).

Rumor has it that current finish kits are being shipped with seats. Can anyone verify this? If so, what are the order dates for these finish kits?

Carl
I posted something last week about someone receiving there seats in the finishing kit.

Carl

Greg addressed the issue of seats being shipped in new orders here (click on this link, then scroll near the bottom of the post):

I was informed by Vans last week that all my backordered parts (excl AeroLED wingtips) were being shipped (incl seats). Wing & Finish kit order date was July 2021, shipping date April 2023.

I was informed by Vans last week that all my backordered parts (excl AeroLED wingtips) were being shipped (incl seats). Wing & Finish kit order date was July 2021, shipping date April 2023.
Did they reach out to you or did you ask them? I received my finishing kit in May, 2023 after a 15 month wait.

Did they reach out to you or did you ask them? I received my finishing kit in May, 2023 after a 15 month wait.
I phoned a few times to try to get an idea on timeline for delivery. Nothing was committed to on the phone, but a few days later I received the email confirming shipment of the b/o parts.

Data point for those waiting. I just got my RV-10 Front Seat kit today, no additional cost.
Finish kit ordered: 8/24/21
Finish kit delivered: 2/15/23

Happy camper as that was the last big item hanging out there.

Thanks,
Lance

Data point for those waiting. I just got my RV-10 Front Seat kit today, no additional cost.

Thanks,
Lance
That's very promising, thanks for sharing. I ordered 2 days after you.

I bet you're doing a Happy Dance. What a relief you must feel! I ordered December of 21. So I'm guessing I have a bit of a wait still. But with no engine in sight, I have the time to give.

Thanks,
Lance
I hope you got 2 of them.

I see no rhyme or reason to their order fulfillment. I ordered in July 2021 and my Finish kit was delivered in May 2023. WHISKEYTANGOALPHAFOXTROT?

(Still waiting for seats.)

I hope you got 2 of them.

I see no rhyme or reason to their order fulfillment. I ordered in July 2021 and my Finish kit was delivered in May 2023. WHISKEYTANGOALPHAFOXTROT?

(Still waiting for seats.)

Thanks,
Lance
Great to hear, thanks for sharing the good news. I'm three months behind you so I can now see a bit of light on the horizon! The seats are the final item from Van's needed to finish my 10.

Here are some pics of what's included in the front seat kit. I'm a new builder and had no idea what to expect. 20240215_105828.jpg

Attachments

• 20240215_105835.jpg
    20240215_105835.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 260
  • 20240215_105917.jpg
    20240215_105917.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 144
  • 20240215_105924.jpg
    20240215_105924.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 153
Shoot fire! The first RV-10 project the seats came fully assembled. The only thing to do was to slide them onto the seat rails (already in the plane) and slip over the seat cover.

Carl

Here are some pics of what's included in the front seat kit. I'm a new builder and had no idea what to expect.
Those have certainly changed from mine circa 2008. Back in my day we didn't have to assemble no stinking seats... they were quick build ;). Guessing these aren't made by Oregon Aero anymore.

Shoot fire! The first RV-10 project the seats came fully assembled. The only thing to do was to slide them onto the seat rails (already in the plane) and slip over the seat cover.

Carl
I got my set today as well. 2 full pages of inventory plus 3 pages of assembly added to section 49. Mine are also missing a pair of recline housings like in the pic. They look pretty straight forward to assemble. Probably 2-4 hours each depending on how fast you work. It's mostly bolted together with the pans and backs riveted on.

Looking at the instructions they look to fit within the same footprint and have the same controls as the Oregon Aero seats but they don't seem to share anything with them other than the adjustment housing and seat rails.

Obviously these are not Oregon Aero seats, i.e. the seats advertised when we placed our orders. Hopefully they are duplicated to a degree that gives the same quality, comfort and safety. And hopefully someone familiar with the Oregon Aero construction will chime in and report back if this is so.

P.S. Is that really $10,715 worth of hardware?

Interesting. I know VANS was going to bring these in-house for manufacturing. We paid for Oregon Aero seats...... But obviously aren't going to receive them.

I got my set today as well. 2 full pages of inventory plus 3 pages of assembly added to section 49. Mine are also missing a pair of recline housings like in the pic. They look pretty straight forward to assemble. Probably 2-4 hours each depending on how fast you work. It's mostly bolted together with the pans and backs riveted on.

Looking at the instructions they look to fit within the same footprint and have the same controls as the Oregon Aero seats but they don't seem to share anything with them other than the adjustment housing and seat rails.
Yes, my kit was missing one set of "recline housings" too. I called Van's, it's a fairly expensive part. Of all my kits, that's the first part I found to be missing.

I didn't bring it up initially either, but since two others have as well, mine was missing one of the two set's of "recline housings", as well when it arrived earlier this week. Inventory sheet said 2 each of L and R, but just got one each. Betting an oversight on a batch that went out. Looks like nice machine work on the all the parts. They are a black anodized? Would you do any post finish with those parts?

Lance

I didn't bring it up initially either, but since two others have as well, mine was missing one of the two set's of "recline housings", as well when it arrived earlier this week. Inventory sheet said 2 each of L and R, but just got one each. Betting an oversight on a batch that went out. Looks like nice machine work on the all the parts. They are a black anodized? Would you do any post finish with those parts?

Lance
Post finish. Don't believe I would, they look good as they are. I like that a problem or oversite can be identified on here, makes me feel a little easier about the missing parts.

Has anyone received their seats since the last post here (Feb. 16)?

I received a set of backordered front seats from a finish kit ordered on 9/13/21 and shipped 3/13/23. They arrived 3/6/24, so about a year after the initial finish kit shipped.

I received a set of backordered front seats from a finish kit ordered on 9/13/21 and shipped 3/13/23. They arrived 3/6/24, so about a year after the initial finish kit shipped.
Did you get assembled Oregon Aero seats (what you ordered) or the new Vans produced seat "kit?"

Back