What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedal Paint

Surfdoc

Tried searching and went down a rabbit hole. What did you all use to paint the rudder pedals? Rattle can? Enamels? Solely Primer? Just thinking a grey or white that is scuff resistant.
Thanks in advance.

PPG epoxy primer and top coat of single stage PPG urethane paint. Very durable.

I use a medium gray of this paint on the interior, and a dark gray for the panel, sticks, rudder pedals and such. For all the powered coated stuff that gets painted I first light sand with 200 grit paper.

Carl

I went the complete opposite direction from Carl......no paint on the rudder pedals at all. Scuffed them with a fine (grey) scotchbright pad and called it good. And yes, the rest of the interior did get painted.

I just embraced the fact that they're going to lead a hard life and jeweled the bare aluminum with a small scotch bright disc on a 90 degree Dotco. I didn't shoot for any kind of precision job at all, just something other than flat aluminum.

Attachments

• IMG_5139.jpeg
    IMG_5139.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 101
I just embraced the fact that they're going to lead a hard life and jeweled the bare aluminum with a small scotch bright disc on a 90 degree Dotco. I didn't shoot for any kind of precision job at all, just something other than flat aluminum.
I took mine and them hard coat anodized. Worked great.

I took mine and them hard coat anodized. Worked great.
Anything and any color you want.
I painted mine with Home Depot rattle can and they are holding up very well. If I would think they were looking bad after ???? years, I can just shoot some more on them. Actually I do not think about them when I'm flying and really don't care.
My luck varies FIXIT

Tried searching and went down a rabbit hole. What did you all use to paint the rudder pedals? Rattle can? Enamels? Solely Primer? Just thinking a grey or white that is scuff resistant.
Thanks in advance.
Plus 1 for what Carl said. PPG Concept series is very tough and my pedals still look great after 20 years. It's more involved than using a rattle can but worth the effort. My entire interior is done using the PPG paint.

Painted with 2-part Stewart Systems epoxy leftover from my interior finish. Shoes encounter a lot of filth, some of which I expect to be unkind to aluminum.

You might consider cutting some black wing walk material and glue to aft surface of pedal as a non slip surface. You just need to cut the perforated sections out with a small knife eg scalpel or craft knife . This works well for me.

Plus 1 for what Carl said. PPG Concept series is very tough and my pedals still look great after 20 years. It's more involved than using a rattle can but worth the effort. My entire interior is done using the PPG paint.

Did same. PPG Concept is very durable and still looks great after 18 years. I did wrap the lower bar of the rudder pedals with some stick-on anti-skid tape. That also still looks great.

Last edited:
I used a can of bed liner spray you get from a local auto parts store. I put a couple light coatings on the peddles and a few other items inside the cockpit. Lightly spray on until you like the level of texture you like. It gives a nice textured look, some grip for your feet, and east to paint if you want. Very durable.

Last edited:
You might consider cutting some black wing walk material and glue to aft surface of pedal as a non slip surface. You just need to cut the perforated sections out with a small knife eg scalpel or craft knife . This works well for me.
This is exactly what I did 17 yrs ago and they still look great. I used a paper hole punch for perfectly round holes. YMMV

Powder Coated Flat Black Textured - which is great Anti Skid wear surface
Powder-coated Satin black. Flying since 1997 they look like they did the day I put them in. I would go with a dark color as your feet (unless you fly in socks or bare foot; I know pilots who do!) are going to be pretty grubby down there. As far as anti-slip, most of your foot's contact will still be on the rudder bar rather than the brake pedals and, even with a shiny black surface, slipping has, for me, never been an issue. If you find you are slipping on yours, a little wing walk material would take care of that.

Not sure what you are building but the rudder bar is where your feet will be 95% of the time. I found mine were not large enough and have a piece of rubber hosing wrapped around them to make them 'taller'. I found I was inadvertently pushing on the brake pedal with them being the original diameter. The hose works great! And is a non-slip surface!

Not sure what you are building but the rudder bar is where your feet will be 95% of the time. I found mine were not large enough and have a piece of rubber hosing wrapped around them to make them 'taller'. I found I was inadvertently pushing on the brake pedal with them being the original diameter. The hose works great! And is a non-slip surface!
I buddy made these nylon rudder pedal extensions for my first RV-10. Worked great. I have a set now going into the new RV-10 build. This eliminated the inadvertent brake issue.

Carl

Attachments

• Rudder pedal extension #2.jpeg
    Rudder pedal extension #2.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Rudder pedal extension #1.jpeg
    Rudder pedal extension #1.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 52
Those would sure look “purdee” alodined…

+1 for wing walk material.
20190723_183017.jpg

Back