What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rolled Leading Edge (practice kit)

I can't seem the get this seam to be flush down the leading edge of the practice kit.

Is this a matter of not rolling the top piece at enough of a curve, or improper drilling of the holes? I drilled from the middle towards the edges.

I also managed to improve it from my initial attempt but there's still a seam I can't get flush. Tried to show it in two different pictures...

Thanks for the advice

Attachments

• IMG_5811.jpg
    IMG_5811.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5808.jpg
    IMG_5808.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 146
Yes I tried that as well, I forgot to mention it. I did attempt it again which maybe I shouldn't have done it twice because now the curved metal has a perceptible straight bend in it. The seam is closed off a little better though.

Attachments

• IMG_5812.jpg
    IMG_5812.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5813.jpg
    IMG_5813.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 124
Leading edge

This worked for me.
1. Seam the edge.
2. First roll is 1/2" pipe. Just enough to curve about an inch of metal.
3. Final curve is 3/4" pipe. Roll as far as the jig will alllow.
Keep going. You got this.

This worked for me.
1. Seam the edge.
2. First roll is 1/2" pipe. Just enough to curve about an inch of metal.
3. Final curve is 3/4" pipe. Roll as far as the jig will alllow.
Keep going. You got this.

I was thinking that next time the edge seam would need to be done first, thanks!

Ditto what the others said.
The rolled edges require an aggressive edge bend, much more than normal lap joints.
So, don't take amount that as "standard". A normal lap-joint edge seaming bend is barely perceptible.

I rolled it and seemed it, and then installed twice the number of LP4-4 rivets as the plans call out, works fine!

DAR Gary

I can't seem the get this seam to be flush down the leading edge of the practice kit.

Is this a matter of not rolling the top piece at enough of a curve, or improper drilling of the holes? I drilled from the middle towards the edges.

I also managed to improve it from my initial attempt but there's still a seam I can't get flush. Tried to show it in two different pictures...

Thanks for the advice

Make sure the rolling dowel is the diameter specified by Vans for the model being built.
Unfortunately Vans does not indicate what diameter dowel to use on the wing practice kit. I also never got that far on the practice kit because when my tail feathers came I abandoned the practice kit and jumped into the real build.

But. For the RV-10 they specify 1.25" diameter dowel. If dowel diameter is too small, i.e. 1"; the leading edge radius will be too small with the edges meeting in a V, if the diameter is too large, i.e. 1 1/2" the LE radius will be too large with the edges meeting with a large gap, i.e not flush.

Takes a little over rolling due to spring back, then some finger tip "tuning" to make it all look good.

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojp...d&p=7up6ehy8O&listcat=&cat=Tail Feathers&sid=

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojentry&proj=7hWk80w9r&e=7up3K3YKd&listcat=&sid=

Back