What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommended Cylinder Hone

avrojockey

Well Known Member
Patron
Lycoming SI 1047B as referenced by the Direct Drive Overhaul Manual recommends Snap-O Tool Co. part no. CF-60C with CF-60C-1 abrasive cloth, or CF-60CS hone fitted with No. CF-61-12S medium grit stones - or equivalent.

A hone is a hone, but the Harbor Freight version, readily accessible locally, is identical design to CF-60CS with CF-61-12S stones (220 grit), and inexpensive. So far the form and function is good, and stones seem quality (no chipping or breaking).

I used to work in an automotive machine shop.. different animal, but honing your own cylinders isn’t the smartest thing to do.. you are better off bringing it to a real shop with real equipment to measure and have the skills to do it right. Plus they can touch up the valve seats and hone/check the valve guides..

I used to work in an automotive machine shop.. different animal, but honing your own cylinders isn’t the smartest thing to do.. you are better off bringing it to a real shop with real equipment to measure and have the skills to do it right. Plus they can touch up the valve seats and hone/check the valve guides..

The cylinders were brought to Poplar Grove for overhaul. However, if you have a know quality in a cylinder and just need to break some glaze...I don't know why you would need to send it in if you have the means to make sure jug stays standard.

Also, if you're concerned about risks...then turn around time for any work right now is long. I use the airplane for commuting, and considering an AOG airplane and having to drive 3 hrs to work with idiots on the road...I'll take my chances with quick hangar hone. Evaluating risk must be balanced with alternatives...you can't just say don't do something because it's "risky"

Last edited:
The cylinders were brought to Poplar Grove for overhaul. However, if you have a know quality in a cylinder and just need to break some glaze...I don't know why you would need to send it in if you have the means to make sure jug stays standard.

Also, if you're concerned about risks...then turn around time for any work right now is long. I use the airplane for commuting, and considering an AOG airplane and having to drive 3 hrs to work with idiots on the road...I'll take my chances with quick hangar hone. Evaluating risk must be balanced with alternatives...you can't just say don't do something because it's "risky"

I agree, Id do it my self.

Lycoming SI 1047B as referenced by the Direct Drive Overhaul Manual recommends Snap-O Tool Co. part no. CF-60C with CF-60C-1 abrasive cloth, or CF-60CS hone fitted with No. CF-61-12S medium grit stones - or equivalent.

A hone is a hone, but the Harbor Freight version, readily accessible locally, is identical design to CF-60CS with CF-61-12S stones (220 grit), and inexpensive. So far the form and function is good, and stones seem quality (no chipping or breaking).

I was just searching on hones and found this; I appreciate the report and link.

150 to 300HP+ Lycoming's are 5.125" bore, what you really need is a ball hone ( often called a "Dingleberry" hone). Order it from any aviation tool supply or borrow one from a friendly A&P/IA..

Back