What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommendations for Customs Brokers

APicard

Howdy everyone,

Looking for some recommendations on a customs broker for shipping kits to Canada.

I'm getting ready to order my fuselage kit and would like to figure out a good broker to use that has experience with Van's kits.

I've considered self clearing if needed but I'm still searching for a decent bonded warehouse near me to use.

Thanks in advance
Adam

I used Clearit.ca and had no problems. You upload all the documents you get from Vans, get a PARS (tracking) number from the shipper, and then pay Clearit the duties + HST.

DIY

Howdy everyone,

Looking for some recommendations on a customs broker for shipping kits to Canada.

I'm getting ready to order my fuselage kit and would like to figure out a good broker to use that has experience with Van's kits.

I've considered self clearing if needed but I'm still searching for a decent bonded warehouse near me to use.

Thanks in advance
Adam

Hi Adam

What I did, and I’m sure others in southern Ontario did is to bypass all the hassle. I used ABF and had is shipped to their warehouse on the US side near Niagara. Rent a cube van and pick it up yourself. You self declare the aircraft/aluminum parts/kit because its for personal use.
ABF was great. Easy to deal with and coordinate with. You save a lot.

Hope that helps.

You will be saving big if you have your kit shipped to the US. My quote from Vans for shipping my finishing kit to my home was 1300. US, but I collected it at Plattsburgh and self cleared it. Shipping cost was 640. US.

Michel

I used C&D logistics in BC for my emp, fuse and wings. Very easy to work with and I just cc’d them on the vans email. They took care of everything from there.

Using Clearit

I used Clearit.ca and had no problems. You upload all the documents you get from Vans, get a PARS (tracking) number from the shipper, and then pay Clearit the duties + HST.

+1 on using Clearit.

My avionics are currently in transit from Midwest Avionics in Michigan via UPS. If you haven't already discovered UPS brokerage fees are quite steep. I used Clearit and for a flat fee of 64.95, they handle all the paperwork seamlessly.
Just set up an account with them and create a ticket.

Keith

I avoid UPS across the border as much as possible. When I buy anything of value, I have this shipped to a warehouse just next to the border in the USA. Near Montreal, there is Freeport Forwarding in Champlain NY. They charge 5$ to receive the package. Then I stop at Canada Customs and declare it + pay taxes.

Back