What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Window Sealing

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
The -14A plans call for a line of ProSeal around the edges of the rear window next to the line of screws. I assume this is to prevent water leakage into the baggage compartment. I am not looking forward to this task, as I see lots of ways the ProSeal could get smeared around during installation. I am wondering if I could use some 3M double sided tape used to install emblems on car bodies. It would have to be pretty thin but would be easier to install. One issue would be compatibility of the adhesive with the canopy material. Has anyone tried this? Am I making too big of a deal about the ProSeal process?

Not answering your question but some additional information to consider before straying to far from the plans. I masked very well then used a syringe to add a very small amount of proseal between the rear window and fuselage. I also painted the outside of the windshield area where it comes into contact with the fuselage. This hides proseal that is between the two surfaces when viewing from the baggage area. Also depending where you get your aircraft painted some shops seal this up after paint. Evoke does a beautiful job in this area and also the canopy. Had I known this I would not have sealed this area at all.

IMG_3326.JPGIMG_3336.JPGIMG_3327.JPGIMG_6600.jpg

I just did this a couple days ago. Masking inside and out is the key. Mask the plexiglas and the aluminum. I used a small syringe to place the proseal and there was very minimal mess.

Back