What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear CP Hot Air

Pounder

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Has anyone developed a rear cockpit hot air duct system?

I have a frequent flier who would use this, often.

I need to get creative here, but maybe its already a thing in someone else's
ship.

Heated jacket works the best. Also close out all the air flowing between the body and the canopy near the back of the cockpit. Massive amounts of cold air makes it into that area. There is no good way of getting air to the back without an extended nozzle near the panel that is able to be directed to the back, but you won’t get much hot air if you run lean of peak and fly high altitude like I do. I typically need a heated jacket myself, especially at night without the heat from the sun.

Danny King came up with a design to move the heater to the right side of the firewall and connect it to a vent tube through the lower front baggage area. The idea is the heat then shoots down the right side of the plane and reaches the back seat passenger better. He says it works great.....been running it for 20 years.

I'm copying his design.

There was a guy out there who made a square tube that slid through the cutout in the spar and just cleared the control tube. It wasn't clear what he did with it once through, as it basically then pointed right at the aileron tubes. I'd be afraid to start cutting the spar web, if for no other reason than the effect it will have on resale.

You could put the vent up front offset far right or left so it blows past the pilot directly to the back seat.

I decided to install heated seats, and installing one of these turbo heat muffs made a huge difference in how much hot air gets to the back seat. Right now I only installed one, with no baffle at all. It blasts a massive amount of very warm air. Within a few seconds of turning it on, the whole cockpit warms up.

I have a second one sitting here that I had made shorter so I can loop my scat tubes through it as well, but I don't think it'll be needed.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/05-27123.php

I’m not Danny King but I liked his idea of circulating warm air to the back.

Since I bought a stainless heater box, the aluminum one was repurposed into a plenum to attach a scat tube. The “Y” tube (from ACS) with a valve can shut off the NACA vent and only heated air will come out the panel. Two Bowden cables will be needed. One for the Y and one for the heater box. Air flow to the panel vent can be fresh, combination of cold and heat, or just heat.

The plenum has enough opening to provide equal amounts of hot air to the front and the vent. There is a panel on the side that can be replaced with a larger to small size depending of real world results to increase/decrease the air volume up front.

I still have to adjust the scat tube lengths but the picture was the initial run.

As a side note, the Stein large air vent has a bulge on the tube the scat hose connects to. It had to be cut off to get the scat tube to slide on.

Attachments

• IMG_1328.jpg
    IMG_1328.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 65
Back