What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Racing seats to replace RV 10 seats

psvalentine

Does anyone have experience with using racing seats instead of the stock seats? The reason for doing this is the unavailabilty from VANS. The cost is ridiculous for sure.
Braum, Corbeau?

I was looking at the various racing seats from Summit Racing very early in my build. It was only a trade-off exercise. The racing seats I found are heavier because they have to conform to the specified crash standards for difference race organization. I also look at used car seats from the junk yards as a possible option since the custom made seats are so expensive. For the car seats, I can remove the steel chassis and leave the remaining foam and seat leather in place to save weight.

The other two options were to buy the foam blanks from Vans and do the upholtery afterward or to order the expensive custom made seats.

In the end, I ended up ordering the foam seat blanks and had a DIY upholstery using the durable and thick neoprene seat covers made for the Jeep Wranglers. They require some DIY stitching skills. My Jeep neoprene seat covers last over 10 years parking in the outdoor and they should last longer in the RV.

No reason you can not use them however weight would be a big issue along with needing a folding forward seat back for access to the rear seating. I looked into them when I built my -10 but never found anything suitable at the time.

Back