What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PSA: RV-12 legacy avionics bay wiring abrasion

Eriselle

Hi VAF,

I posted recently about some wiring abrasion I found in my RV-12 legacy that was causing my autopilot light to blink: https://vansairforce.net/threads/psa-rv-12-legacy-gmc-30-5-7-wiring-abrasion.223225/

While investigating this issue beyond that post, I've discovered sixteen different locations where various wiring insulation is notably abraded in just the avionics bay alone, I'm talking ~50% of the insulation worn through. This is a really serious issue that is absolutely going to result in electrical failures if it is not addressed. This is happening because the wire routing is haphazard and little was done to intentionally avoid abrasion. Some of the routing is extremely eyebrow raising.

I'm not sure if this is a builder issue, or if its inherent to Vans' design of the RV-12. There are a LOT of hard edges, blind rivet shop heads, connectors, and other interesting opportunities for abrasion in the avionics bay. If you aren't quite sure you don't have this problem, consider taking a really good look in there and make sure you don't have this problem developing.

Last edited:
Back