What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Planning to fly Bay Area to glacier NP

Sorry no route info, I got there from the east. But, watch surface winds - that worried me, monitored a 25kt x-wind on my destination for 8 hours of flying and 5 min before arrival it dropped to zero. Glacier was the (IFR) destination due to runway options but stopped 10 miles short for the night with occurrence of the favorable wind.

Have a good flight, that is a beautiful area.

Last edited:
Just cross the mountains following the interstates, turn north at Missoula. Montana is a great state to see from the air.

Cabin Creek 97MT

The wife and I flew our RV8 from the Fargo area for a Glacier vacation. We stayed at Cabin Creek (97MT), which is a private strip with a great BnB. At the time it was run by an airline pilot and his wife. Nice folks. We rented a car in Kalispell for the short trips to the park.

We flew the -6 into Kalispell KGPI on July 1, 2008. We rented a car to drive into the park but the road was closed about 25 miles in from the south entrance due to an avalanche blocking the road...in July.

Still had some amazing views. HUGE mountains that are very impressive...and hard to photograph in a way which conveys their size.

Back