What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane Innovations service KUDOS

GLPalinkas

Well Known Member
Plane Innovations ROCKS

Short story?. Defective stainless steel heater valve arm broke at the spot welds. Contacted Linda at Plane Innovations and asked that they sell me a new arm. The shop people were concerned that the hinge may not line up. Linda sent a total replacement heater valve unit. NO CHARGE. Now that?s service?. and standing behind your product. Service Paul would be proud of, I'm sure.

Longer story is that I probably purchased the heater unit 6 years ago along with some of Plane Innovations firewall penetration kits. Broke around 200 hours and 2 years flying the airplane. I told Linda that I wanted to purchase a new control arm. She told me it probably wouldn?t work and sent the entire unit, again, at NO CHARGE.

Additionally, if you look at the photos below, you immediately notice the difference in size of the new unit compared to the old one. First thing I thought was, oh boy, this is going to be fun. Well, the engineers had already thought of that and aligned openings and bolt holes with the old units. The new one fit perfectly, albeit, with a smaller footprint.

The new unit flapper valve is modified with bent edges and it makes a nice fit and finish and looks to be better at sealing the opening. The main body and flapper both have lips that align when closed. I applied sealant to the new unit, bolted it in place, hooked up the control arm and had heat in a matter of an hours work (well, after the sealant dried the next day).

Yeah, I know?. heat, in Florida. Well, it was cold here two weeks ago (February) when I flew my wife to Augusta. Probably 50F at altitude and colder in Georgia. First time I had used the heat in 9 months. That?s when I discovered the heat was a squawk. Sorry for the COLD weather note :D

OLD UNIT? NOTE THE LACK OF EDGE BENDS IN THE FLAPPER.

waohaw.jpg

The NEW UNIT with the bends in the flapper

2463rb6.jpg

t0nwoj.jpg

COMPARING THE TWO UNITS?.. Again, all holes lined up perfectly!!

261bxqo.jpg

+1 Linda really gets the job done and QUICKLY. She has her hands full I hope all is going well there.

+ 1 for Linda

Linda has done a extremely great job since Paul passed. Ordered some parts recently and Linda was quick to respond. Sent Linda a quick thank you and her response

The machine shop and Plane Innovations are still operating. *I have two part-time employees who seem happy with that. *So, it is one day at a time for now. *We will see what the future holds. Thank you for your kind thoughts. *I miss Paul, also, but what can one do?

Take care and be safe,
Linda

Please support Linda where we can!!

Broken Flapper lever . . .

Long delay follow up. My heater box is the same vintage as the OP.

Cold weather and recent use caused my flapper arm to dissociate from the flapper. Poor spot welds were the root cause. You can see that there was only a spot where metal transfer took place. Amazing it has lasted 250 hrs.

But . . a limit stop on the cable would be a good idea.

If anyone has information on Plane Innovations please post or PM - I can find any evidence they are still in business. Thanks

IMG_6940.jpg

IMG_6945.jpg

Last edited:
Back