What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phase 1 oil change

SeanB

Well Known Member
Just crossed 11.0 hours on Phase1. Aerosport IO-375, low compression. Remote/larger oil cooler behind number 3. Shutter to choke….not used yet! Getting ready for a total oil change (oil, filter, finger screen, analysis). Continuing with Aeroshell W100 oil. Any other suggestions as I proceed? BTW, motor is running Great! Can get 440 on take off, but easy to correct with nose down. Level flight is about 1250 EGT with 380 CHT. All within 10 degrees. Oil stays about 190-195 no matter what. Just now tried LOP. 6.2 GPH, 311 CHT, 1400 EGT, oil same. Not hardly burning any oil. About 156 kts true. Okay????

Skip the oil analysis until you have the engine really broken in.
Run the engine has hard as you can to break in the rings. They need high pressure to get each cylinders rings to push out against the cylinder walls.

Run the engine has hard as you can to break in the rings. They need high pressure to get each cylinders rings to push out against the cylinder walls.

Absolutely not true. I've broken in engines with nothing more than idling. Most auto manufacturers run their engines in today using a process called cold testing where the engine is driven with an electric motor.

What turbo said. Oil analysis can wait - just look at the filter. BUT will have a lot of fine metal, and that seems normal - it will get less each inspection so you can extend the change period hours in steps based on what you find. Mine took 100 hrs or so to get down to close to nothing and the oil analysis started then. Mineral oil stopped at about 50 hrs. (just info not a recommendation)

When getting hours, do change MAP and rpm over your range of operation periodically. 20 min??

Back