What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parking Brakes

Moura

Well Known Member
Hi

Do you RV10 builders install parking brakes on your RV10s? If so, how do they work?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
No, but it is a readily available accessory. I'm still on the fence of whether I want one but it'll be an easy install if I do.

I was on the fence as well, and opted to install one. I use it every flight. I installed a "T" handle in the tunnel between the seats, W/ the cable running forward, very easy to use.

Install?

In almost 700 hours of flying I have use it one time.
If I built again I may not install it.
I get into such a habit of choking the wheels as soon as I get out I never use it. The one time I did use it I was on a slope and could not keep the plane from moving and I was alone, it was great to have that one time.

Neither the RV-8A or the RV-10

that I fly have a parking brake --- many times I have wished I had one. Many parking ramps are sloped and it is a real race to exit the plane and get a chock in place ----- and, the chocks at most airports are too large for the RVs and will damage the fairings, so the line folks are not much help, except to hold the plane in place. A parking brake is a nice feature.

I installed one, and in 200 hours can count the times I have used it on one hand. However, as Scott noted, it is priceless when you cannot get out of the airplane to set the chocks because you are on a slope! It is an easy installation and I would definitely do it again.

Do it!

On many things that I was not sure on I probably went the direction that cost more or took more time. Who knows how many planes you will build in your life, you might as well have everything on it that you can dream of.
If you can picture yourself at the Lukla Airport in Nepal you will want that parking brake.:)
800px-RK_0602_00825_LuklaFlugplatz.jpg

If you are solo...

No, but it is a readily available accessory. I'm still on the fence of whether I want one but it'll be an easy install if I do.

...and at a self-service pump on a ramp with no-one around and a 25 kt wind blowing (like in the Mojave desert...:)...) -- then you discover why they were put there...:D

when you need it you will be glad that you have it.

Totally agree with the previous four post. In my 700+ hrs flying 9A I used my parking brake only a few times (sloped ramp and/or strong wind). However, those times I was really glad that I spent the time to put it in. I ordered the valve and the cable and in a few weeks I will put one in my 10 project. This is a small investment of money and time and one of the options worth doing.

Ted

...and at a self-service pump on a ramp with no-one around and a 25 kt wind blowing (like in the Mojave desert...:)...) -- then you discover why they were put there...:D

Totally agree with the previous four post. In my 700+ hrs flying 9A I used my parking brake only a few times (sloped ramp and/or strong wind). However, those times I was really glad that I spent the time to put it in. I ordered the valve and the cable and in a few weeks I will put one in my 10 project. This is a small investment of money and time and one of the options worth doing.

Ted

IMHO it should be "manditory". I wished my -10 had one. I pulled up to a side of an FBO to get out of the wind on a long CC. I could not turn around and shut the engine down. Then I found out I was on an incline and could only roll backwards. I could not get out of the plane for fear the nose wheel would come around and damage the stops and nose wheel pants. Luckily, a couple of local RV drivers saw my perdicament and came to hold the plane. I was stuck until someone came, not one of my smarter moves. A parking brake is a good add on. You might not use it all the time, but when you need it you'll be glad it is there.

Last edited:
Important reminder about parking brake.

I have also put one in my 10, but there is one thing I have not seen mentioned in this thread yet.

This unit is not for long term use, set it to hold the plane, get out and set a chock, then release the brake.

They are known to bleed off if left on too long.

Peeve

Always bugged me when guys set the brake on a little plane, then tie down. Never gets tied tight and one drop of fluid ooze in the brake systems eliminates the brake holding. Sean has put a brake valve in my ten and I'm glad. I too have been stuck on an incline. Once I had to back a 206 into my driveway to turn around. Felt weird.

Engine start and run-up?

Please excuse my ignorance...

I follow the checklists for the Diamond DA20 I currently fly, and it has me set the parking brake during engine start and during run-up. I do not set the brake when parking. Is this not standard practice with an RV? I notice the RV-12 POH says "Brakes - HOLD" during engine start and run-up. I guess if you have no parking brake that's what you do.

Last edited:
Please excuse my ignorance...

I follow the checklists for the Diamond DA20 I currently fly, and it has me set the parking brake during engine start and during run-up. I do not set the brake when parking? Is this not standard practice with an RV? I notice the RV-12 POH says "Brakes - HOLD" during engine start and run-up. I guess if you have no parking brake that's what you do.

The parking brake is typically used when you initially shutdown and are getting out of the aircraft until you can properly place chocks. You don't want to have the brake engaged for long periods of time.

As for starting and run ups, most folks just keep their feet on the brake.

bob

I don't think I'd trust a parking brake for engine start and run up, especially if it leads the pilot to not have his feet on the brakes before and during. Part of my pre-start procedure has always been to test the brake pedals; if a pedal mushed I wouldn't try to start. That's no guarantee the brakes operate but I think it's better than relying on a parking brake.

release parking brake

I don't know what experience you guys have with your parking brake. To set the parking brake you press on the brake paddles before closing the parking brake valve. To release it, I always have to open the valve and tap on the brake paddles. Otherwise, the brakes are still locked.

Whatcha-ma-call-it

On the topic (but also slightly off), I ordered the Matco PVPV-D parking brake.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/matcoPBVALVE.php

I also ordered the push-pull cable to operate it. But what I forgot to order was the adapter that attaches the push-pull cable to the valve arm. I don't know the name of it, so I don't know what to look for or buy.

I'm guessing it's a device that's made to rotate in the .193" hole. But also has a smaller hole that you can run the push-pull cable through and tighten it down with a set screw....

What's the name of it? I need to get one in the inventory before I get to the brakes.....

Phil

These were what I ordered for my 9A

MS21042-3 NUT, STOP MS21042-3
1.00 of 05-16245 CABLE "B" NUT CARB HEAT 222-4
1.00 of 06-17200 MATCO BRAKE PARKING VALVE
2.00 of AN3-12A BOLT UNDRILLED AN3-12A
1.00 of 05-15000 T-HANDLE DASH CONTROL 5' R-09

I use the parking brake all the time for short stops (fueling, picking up passengers, etc.) However, I don't trust the brake for longer stops because a hydraulic leak could allow the airplane to roll away.

There was only one time that I didn't appreciate the parking brake and that was on an old rental airplane. I was picking up a date and decided to set the parking brake. A few minutes later, the engine was running... and I couldn't get the brakes off. After kicking the pedals a few times, one wheel started rolling and we began pivoting around the other. At this point, my date began to get nervous and suggested we do the flight another time.

parking brake valve

The parking brake valve has an arrow embossed on it and the word "flow". I'm assuming that the flow would be towards the pedals. IE: The flow when the brakes are set would be back towards the pedals. Is that correct?:confused:

I believe the flow is from the master cylinder to the brake caliper, thus from the pedals to the parking brake valve to the wheels. When you press the pedals the fluid flow through the valve and you close the valve to hold the pressure.

I believe the flow is from the master cylinder to the brake caliper, thus from the pedals to the parking brake valve to the wheels. When you press the pedals the fluid flow through the valve and you close the valve to hold the pressure.

Thanks Ted. Here's what I had been thinking: when you close the valve and take your feet off of the pedals, the flow is now in the opposite direction, back towards the pedals. Isn't that the flow which you are now holding?

I am at a decision point of which brake should I add to my finishing kit. Grove and Beringer are my options. Beringer have a park brakes option, however Grove does not as far as I know. My question is can a parking brakes valve (or whatever it takes) be installed with Grove brakes?

I don't see why not. I've got the Matco valve (Vans part # BRAKE PARKING PV-2) on my -10 with Grove brakes.

I too have the MATCO parking brake with Grove brakes. I’ve used it exactly once in 8 years and that was a test.

Thanks Ted. Here's what I had been thinking: when you close the valve and take your feet off of the pedals, the flow is now in the opposite direction, back towards the pedals. Isn't that the flow which you are now holding?

When you close the valve and remove your feet there is no flow. Pressure is equal in both directions.

I installed parking brake during my airplane built and have only used it once since then (<100hours).
At the very beginning I decided to test it and left it pulled (brake ON) overnight. In the morning I found that my parking brake bleed overnight. So this is definitely not a long term solution for me. I use wheel chokes since then ;)

I have installed one in each of my airplanes - and did one for my -10, although I haven't used it yet (not quite yet done building...).

The issue posted earlier where the brake fluid leaked could occur if you set your parking brake in the cool morning and then it got hot in the afternoon as the brake system is a locked hydraulic system with the parking brake set (valve shut) and something's going to give as the fluid heats up. However, that would be take a significant temperature transition to make happen.

At my home airport, it's not uncommon to have winds 25G35 and the airplane will roll if you just get out prior to setting chocks. It effectively acts as a second person to hold the brakes while set chocks.

I find it invaluable for stopping on a ramp that has some angle to it, fuel stops or loading passengers where setting chocks to keep the aircraft from rolling is an avoided hassle.

However, I only use mine for short periods. Even so, it's a low cost feature I recommend installing during the build, that would be more difficult to retrofit later.

I bought my -10 about 15 months ago and it was built with no parking brake. I generally don't miss it but there was one incident (on my solo ferry flight right after I bought it) where I had to park at 90 degrees to a 22G29 wind at Lancaster (KWJF) to refuel where it would have been extremely helpful. I landed up having to call someone from airport ops to help hold the plane from pivoting into the fuel station while I got the tow bar out and pulled it into the wind.

I realized that was a rookie mistake by someone new to a plane with a free castering nose wheel. I now generally try very hard to park with the nose into the wind or at least park in a fashion that a wind-induced pivot won't cause damage!

That having been said, as a NBO with a plane with no parking brake, I would strongly agree with @rongawer that you should install it during the build (for the reasons he mentions) if it is relatively low cost from a $, effort and weight perspective.

Hi

Do you RV10 builders install parking brakes on your RV10s? If so, how do they work?

Thanks

I would install, easy process, low weight option.

They work by closing the fluid return line, thus holding hyd pressure to brake pucks.

But... after landing I would set the parking park brake, then climb out of aircraft and chock the main wheels (2x) and climb back in to release PB pressure.

Two reasons, temp changes can affect total P in that short hyd line; it may increase P or decrease P; but more so if line service needs to move your aircraft they cannot without interior access. (that will cost ya a beer)

Pre-flight - Climb in, set P brake, climb out remove chocks during walk around, do all engine start, pre taxi items, then release PB for taxi.

If you think you would look silly chasing a slow rolling 2500# aircraft across the ramp, imaging a 40,700# bird headed toward something not very forgiving.

My hangar has an inclined ramp, I use my parking brake almost every flight.

Make sure you have a checklist item to release the parking brake on startup.

If you forget to release the brake after startup, if it has been a few hours, the brake holding pressure will have bled down.......until.....you press the brakes again for taxi and they will lock up, or in my case pressing only one brake pedal, lock up on one tire and around and around you go....

I modified my tow bar to use as a gust lock. It can also serve as a temporary parking brake. e.g., solo flights I keep it within reach. Non-solo flights, passenger can keep their feet on the brakes until I chock the wheels.

Back