What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Gun, Just A Tip

RV10 4JF

Today, I was spraying a wild hog trap. These are flight hogs so the thread, I believe, is proper. Anyway, when it came time to clean the gun, I realized that I had a tip that I could share with the members. I have not cleaned a gun cup in years. What I do is wipe them clean in about one minute. On my conventional gun, I line the cup with a 1 qt. plastic freezer bag. I use the bag type that you press the two sides together and not the zipper type. I insert the bag in the cup and spread the bag with a wooden rod. Then I fold the open end of the bag over the cup edge and over the two pins on the cup. I fill the cup and attach the gun. It is a tight fit but can be done. Once I am done spraying I pull the bag out and squeeze the remaining paint back into its container and discard the bag. I then use solvent to wipe the cup clean. I got the idea from my HVLP gun which also uses the bag trick. On this gun the bag is sealed with the spray material and you open the bag to refill it. I have used this bag technique to spray all kinds of material. Just the same, testing the plastic with the product you are using is a good idea.

I also save all my 1 gal milk jugs. These I cut in half and use the bottom to clean small parts or to hold small parts. The top part I use as a funnel. Today I used the funnel to fill my gun cup. I let it drain some then put the cap back on and set it aside until I had to refill the cup again. For straining paint I use old pantyhose.

This works for me, thought I would share.

JF.

good tip!!

A great tip. Thanks a million. Thought I would add this as well. The Marson company makes the plastic gun cup liners out of a material that is unaffected by solvents. Box of 100 as I recall, and very cheap. See your automotive paint dealer. I have used these in the past with epoxy primer, a nasty product to wash out of your gun.

Regards...Chris

Back