What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH trip airports between Florida and KOSH

Planecrazy232

Well Known Member
We always try for different stops between Florida and the big show. Who knows of any airports with gas and food specials along the route?

I just looked at EAA’s Osh fuel discount page and there’s not much listed between FL and Osh. Don’t know what leg lengths you plan on flying but it lists Bessemer AL and 3 places in Indiana (Gary, Seymour, and Valparaiso)

KDKB

I always stopped at DeKalb, IL (~35 west of Chicago) as my last fuel stop before OSH. No fuel specials but they always had hot dogs on the grill and coolers full of cold water and pop.

Fuel Stop

I always stopped at DeKalb, IL (~35 west of Chicago) as my last fuel stop before OSH. No fuel specials but they always had hot dogs on the grill and coolers full of cold water and pop.

Second that...we have stopped there the last seven times, quick turn, very good runway layout, close enough to OSH to not worry a about fueling up at OSH. Friendly folks.
Ed and Liz

We always try for different stops between Florida and the big show. Who knows of any airports with gas and food specials along the route?

When are you planning to fly up to OSH? Full week? Partial?

I was thinking on flying there, but close friends are not available...

I am 25 miles from DKB. NOt sure, but I think the town stopped subsidizing fuel, so the rates have not been attractive the last year or so. Also possible that our tax happy governor finally got around to emptying the wallets of pilots in addition to all other poor residents of Illinois. Cheapest gas within 50 miles of Chicago is KBUU, currently $4.99/gal. No idea on whether or not hot dogs are available.

Last edited:
My first years I would spend a good deal of time planning my trips. Never worked. Always a pee stop or weather would change my length or route.
I got to where I would plan a loose East and West route so I could last minute get around weather. I always just found a nice small country AP when I was ready to stop. Sometimes three stops and sometimes just two. One year on the way back I was ready to get home so I made it in one stop. Also unplanned.

I’ve also simplified my planning and we just stop at the same airport every year to get gas and use the restroom. I picked it as it’s ~halfway to Osh from Tampa along our route.

KDKB

Hey Anthony, see you at HBC.
I always stop at KDKB for fuel, dogs & stretch my legs. Most important is that I get to focus on getting into Ripon fresh & back in the game for the conga line.

be prepared

bring a pee bottle, food and water, be flexible about wx and stops, seems to be no great gas deals, have fun and be safe, this is one of the best trips you can make. report back here on your epic trip. oh read up on the arrival procedure, best time to get there is after the morning- noon chaos. :D

bring a pee bottle, food and water, be flexible about wx and stops, seems to be no great gas deals, have fun and be safe, this is one of the best trips you can make. report back here on your epic trip. oh read up on the arrival procedure, best time to get there is after the morning- noon chaos. :D

All above checked off- not my first trip! See you there!

Back