What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

On the wheels?

JeremyL

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I was curious as to when you put your bird on its wheels? I have the tail feathers mounted, roll bar on, canopy not yet started. I am beginning to wire everything and I am thinking it would be nice to have it up on its own feet to install antennae’s and such for the belly. Also none of the top skins are on yet to simplify wiring access. Thanks!

Assuming it's currently lower than it will be on the gear I'd keep it on the fuselage cart until the wiring done if possible. You're right that it would be nice to have it higher to install the belly antennae, but it's even nicer to have it low enough that you don't need a ladder to reach over the top for all the panel wiring, which is much more involved and takes way longer than you think it will.

Assuming it's currently lower than it will be on the gear I'd keep it on the fuselage cart until the wiring done if possible. You're right that it would be nice to have it higher to install the belly antennae, but it's even nicer to have it low enough that you don't need a ladder to reach over the top for all the panel wiring, which is much more involved and takes way longer than you think it will.
Good point! Pros and cons for sure. I think I’ll keep it low for now. I am planning on about 3 month for the wiring , not sure if that’s a fair plan or I’m nuts.

Good point! Pros and cons for sure. I think I’ll keep it low for now. I am planning on about 3 month for the wiring , not sure if that’s a fair plan or I’m nuts.
I think 3 months is a fair estimate, depending on about a million variables.

FYI- even with it on a low fuselage cart I ended up using a couple of one step stools that I had previously made (one for each side of the airplane so I didn't have to keep rearranging stuff). Getting myself elevated to a point that the longerons were about even with my belly button was just about perfect.

I think 3 months is a fair estimate, depending on about a million variables.

FYI- even with it on a low fuselage cart I ended up using a couple of one step stools that I had previously made (one for each side of the airplane so I didn't have to keep rearranging stuff). Getting myself elevated to a point that the longerons were about even with my belly button was just about perfect.
Got ya, yeah she’s sitting nice and low at the moment. IMG_0721.jpeg

I installed the landing gear just prior to installing the engine.

It is better to have the fuselage lower for the electrical work and for riveting the top skins and completing the canopy. The wooden support is solid so it won't move around, whereas the gear legs and tires are springy and will also get in the way when you are standing and working alongside the fuselage.

One of the best setups I’ve seen at this point in the construction is a rotisserie arrangement that allows you to rotate the fuselage around on an even plane for installation of parts both inside the fuselage and outside. Someone on this site has done this more than once and probably has plans on how to do this.

I had mine on a cart until the very end. the plane sits pretty high when on the wheels. Even on the cart, I made a shelf on either side of fuse to get inside.IMG_3262.jpeg

Last edited:
It is a lot easier to work on without the gear on. I waited until after the wings were fitted and ready to hang the engine. The fuselage was nearly completed and left on blocks until I needed the engine on to continue. Canopy and empennage was done but removed and wiring was installed. With the "A" model, you really need to wait. You could put it on it's wheel earlier for conventional gear. If you plan all your electrical needs early, you can install wiring and close things up early. You can see here how much higher on the gear.cowl4.JPG
wingson3.JPG

Last edited:
Back