What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old HSI - help needed

pczar3

Well Known Member
Patron
I thought if anyone could steer me in the right direction it would be this group! I have an HSI-100S-1 (Narco/Castleberry) that needs an overhaul. I have checked a few instrument overhaul facilities but have not been able to find a US facility. Does anyone out there have any clues or recommendations? The bearings are starting to get noisy. Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul Czarapata
RV-6A N694BP reserved

Gyro House

Just a quick word here.

You say the unit is "old".

A lot of "old" instraments used radium, glo in the dark, dials.

Gyro House wont work on these------Calif state law they say.

Been there, done that.

They do sell re-conditioned and yellow tagged stuff also.

Good shop.

Mike

May be trash can it?

pczar3 said:
I thought if anyone could steer me in the right direction it would be this group! Thanks in advance for your help. Paul Czarapata
RV-6A N694BP reserved
I have to make some assumeptions and not sure what your budget, mission (VFR/IFR) and preferences are but here is my advice.

Not sure if you are committed to the OLD HSI, but you may end up spending a small fortune to get it repaired and find it's time to next failure very short or it may never really perform very well again, ever.

I had a bunch of old gyros, T&B, AI, DG, which I had overhauled. These where old instruments and it was not cheap to put new bearings in them and have them overhauled. I found they where marginally stable after having them worked on. I had the T&B in 3 times and AI in at least twice to get it close to working OK.

My suggestion is consider biting the bullet and look at the GRT EFIS ($6,000) or the BMA G4 ($4,000), both have HSI compass rose displays and accept nav input from a VOR/LOC/GS and of course GPS. My feeling is you don't need a DG or HSI.

Many handheld GPS have a quasi-HSI type display if that is what you are comfortable with, but think you will soon forget the HSI display format once you get accustomed to the EFIS displays. I assume you plan on flying IFR?

A Dynon EFIS ($2,200) is bargain priced as well but they are only flight instruments, attitude, direction, airspeed, altitude, vsi and so on. They don't have a bootstrap to nav data.

The nice part of all these electronic instruments is you will not trash them when you do aerobatics. I like to do rolls and loops. What is the wisdom of trashing your mechanical gyros doing Acro and than launching into sold IMC?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. The only real problem is the bearings get noisy for a few seconds on spin up and it does meet the drift rate on the bench. (without the slaving hooked up). It is a very clean unit and the budget just won't handle too big a hit right now. I'll call the gyro house on Monday and see what they say. Thanks for the help.

Paul
RV-6A N694BP reserved

Back