What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Now I need help? Anybody? Ail Trim cable.

GAHco

Well Known Member
This is probably common to most models so chime in.

I am wiring the left wing of my 6, I have electric aileron trim and I am running the 5 wire Ray Allen cable through the wing and then out.

Th question is where do you put the hole in the rear spar?

It seams to me that it needs to be just outboard of the inboard aileron bracket, but high, or low, I dint know.

It will need some kind of slack to allow comfortable full travel of the left aileron without causing interference.

If you have done this or seen it done and work well over a period of time, let me know.

I saw nothing in Vans supplement that came with the kit.

I would appreciate your kindly assistance, measurements, photos, etc.

Thanks, Tom

Aileron Trim

Tom,

I did mine a little differently....I built a little stand for mine inside the access panel area and mounted the same servo in there. It actuates a pushrod (like the 8 aileron trim) to a pair of springs that apply tension to the bellcrank. The throw is the same as others have mounted their motors in the underseat area to mimic the manual system. Zap me direct if you want pics.... recapen (at) earthlink.net.

I know this doesn't answer the question as you asked it - but I am not sure as to how you are implementing your trim anyway...this is my solution...close to flying - with a bunch of your nuts and blots in my plane.

Ralph Capen

Hi Tom
I have electric aileron trim in my RV-9A and I ran the 5 wire Ray Allen wire right out to the wing tip. Not necessary to put another hole in the rear spar. The wires pass through the conduit that was installed in the wing during construction. The servo is mounted inside the aileron and I extended the wires from the servo so they would reach the wingtip. I mounted a terminal block on the last wing rib and made the connections there. Add a few loops of wire for stress relief and the exit piont for the wires from the aileron were very close to the pivot point so there is very little wire movement when the aileron is moved from stop to stop. I hope this helps you.

Good Luck :eek:
Peter

Thanks for the info!

Thanks, Ralph and Pete, for the advise and the business, both is appreciated.

Looks like there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I have the MAC / Ray Allen servo in th inboard portion of of my left aileron and I would like to run the wire as close to it as possible and still get the service loop thing.
tabarm2.jpg

The last rib terminal block might work, but I will have to see if running the wre all the way to the other side of the aileron is feasible.

Did Anyone run their wire near the inboard aileron hinge? How did that work and where did you penetrate the rear spar?

Back