What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New ailerons

rsrguy3

I'm New Here
So a friend needs new ailerons for his 4. I'm a restoration guy, I have plenty of sheet metal background and I'm in the shop everyday all day... what amount of shop time do I quote him for build up? I have a number in my head I'd like to get an idea how close I am.

A couple things..

Are you building a new set from Vans? I'm not sure if the newer kits are pre-punched or match drilled, but the legacy ones like I had to build require full layout of fasteners ect. They need built in a "V" jig per plans to keep them true , or you can try without on a flat table. Fairly straightforward and I built mine in about 3 days, fully primed internally.

RV8 quick build ailerons are identical to RV4…. They should be available fully built …. At least they used to be

I used an RV-8 pre punched kit to build one for my Rocket. I needed to cut it down and do a simple doubler on one end but it was not tough. IIRC, I had it ready to hang on the airplane in a weekend.

Back