What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need to remove permanent marker from plexiglass

DavidP2020

Well Known Member
I used permanent sharpie when trimming my windshield. I have since read that alcohol can craze or crack the plexiglass. It is in an exterior spot that won't be trimmed further or sanded. What is the best and safest way to remove the marker?

Thanks!

I used permanent sharpie when trimming my windshield. I have since read that alcohol can craze or crack the plexiglass. It is in an exterior spot that won't be trimmed further or sanded. What is the best and safest way to remove the marker?

Thanks!

Mineral spirits worked for me.

Acrylic_Canopy_and_Lexan_Window_Hints-4 2.jpg

sometimes re-wetting the mark with the same permanent marker followed immediately by a wipe will remove it....not sure about on plexi though

I've had good results cleaning up my canopy and windshield with Novus plastic polish #2.

BTW, I found it interesting that Vans warns against using electrical tape, I guess I missed it. I used it as a fine line tape on all my "glass" when painting and left some of it on for weeks. I did notice some clouding next to where some of the tape was, but the Novus took it right off.

Considering most of the chemicals in Brake Clean are not recommended for use on plexiglass, I don't think that is a wise idea.
You're right, but I have successfully used it to remove paint, glue, marker and whatever else from plexiglass and acrylic. Again, TEST a sample and see what happens. I use the Red Brake Clean, not the green California stuff.

You're right, but I have successfully used it to remove paint, glue, marker and whatever else from plexiglass and acrylic. Again, TEST a sample and see what happens. I use the Red Brake Clean, not the green California stuff.

This was posted in post # 2, I received a copy of this from the manufacturer. I would follow manufacturers instructions.

1708179818744.png

Thanks!
The primer for Sikaflex is basically isopropyl alcohol. I've used gasoline to remove marker ink.

Attached is a scrap piece of plexiglass that I sprayed with primer and a couple of permanent marker stripes. A couple of swipes of BrakeClean and good as new.
20240217_130247.jpg

Just to note that there is a big difference between acrylic (plexiglass) and Lexan (polycarbonate) tolera to solvents.

Thought I would share a tip for others doing canopy work.

Overhead Transparency Markers made by Vis-a-Vis work great and are Wet-Erase. (Wipes off with damp cloth.) Also works on aluminum parts but too easy to rub off in my opinion.

IMG_3215.jpg

This might sound weird, but have you tried a dry erase marker? Seriously! Short story...while doing a TIC in the sand pit, a fellow happened to accidently grabbed his permanent marker and wrote on the plexiglass for coordinates and fire mission!! Oh SH!t moment needless to say. Quickly found out that a dry erase pen (the one he normally used) when written on top of the permanent marker, and then it wiped right off. True story! no names to protect the innocent. Might give it a try.

Back