What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mystery Holes in Mid Fuse Bottom Skin -14A

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I was scuffing the bottom skin for primer and noticed five holes with no homes. I went back to the plans where these show up (26-4 for the -14A) but could not trace what they are used for.

Does anyone know what these holes in the bottom skin are for?

Mid Fuse Bottom Mystery Holes.jpg

Fuse Bottom Mystery HOles.jpg

In case I spill my drink? :)

Yes. Or in case you get so excited by the awesome performance you wet yourself. Or in case the aeroplane is caught in a rain storm and a significant amount of water makes its way into the fuselage. Or in case, while washing your plane, water makes its way into the fuselage. These things can and do happen. Well... maybe not the first one.

People have been caught out by weight and balance changes after water has collected inside then rushed aft on take-off. Never seen it happen on an RV as we tend to hangar them but certainly seen tide marks in spam cans. Allowing water to escape is a good thing.

Yes. Or in case you get so excited by the awesome performance you wet yourself. Or in case the aeroplane is caught in a rain storm and a significant amount of water makes its way into the fuselage. Or in case, while washing your plane, water makes its way into the fuselage. These things can and do happen. Well... maybe not the first one.

People have been caught out by weight and balance changes after water has collected inside then rushed aft on take-off. Never seen it happen on an RV as we tend to hangar them but certainly seen tide marks in spam cans. Allowing water to escape is a good thing.
It’s good to know this stuff has been thought of. I wouldn’t have. And, then been tail heavy on rotation.

Back