What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My Paint Booth Hangers

HFS

Well Known Member
When I built my shop (1991), I knew that sooner or later (or in between) , I would be using it as a paint booth. So I did a few things to facilitate that: All tools are are on rolling stands - so they can be moved out when needed, filtered paint booth ventilation, perimeter curtains that protect all equipment along the walls; and, (the point of this post) is the ceiling hanging system for smaller parts.

On 8' centers, on the ceiling, there are wooden batts (~ 3 x 1 x 10'6"), with 2" dia. steel rings mounted on 12" centers - 4 "batts" x 10 rings each = 40 "hanging" points.
For "hangers" I use 3/4" dowel stock 5' long with screw eyes, opened enough (cut off) to allow engagement with the rings above, and cross bars (if needed).

This "modular" system has come in handy time and time again over the years. The attachments today were to hang some pieces outside, but needed the heat of the shop for cure.

Is there some "front end" thinking & work for this system - of course there is; but, it is a convenient way to suspends all kinds of things from the ceiling when needed.

HFS

Attachments

• Paint Booth Hangers (2).jpg
    Paint Booth Hangers (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 225
  • Paint Booth Hangers (1).jpg
    Paint Booth Hangers (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 221
When I built my shop (1991), I knew that sooner or later (or in between) , I would be using it as a paint booth. So I did a few things to facilitate that: All tools are are on rolling stands - so they can be moved out when needed, filtered paint booth ventilation, perimeter curtains that protect all equipment along the walls; and, (the point of this post) is the ceiling hanging system for smaller parts.

On 8' centers, on the ceiling, there are wooden batts (~ 3 x 1 x 10'6"), with 2" dia. steel rings mounted on 12" centers - 4 "batts" x 10 rings each = 40 "hanging" points.
For "hangers" I use 3/4" dowel stock 5' long with screw eyes, opened enough (cut off) to allow engagement with the rings above, and cross bars (if needed).

This "modular" system has come in handy time and time again over the years. The attachments today were to hang some pieces outside, but needed the heat of the shop for cure.

Is there some "front end" thinking & work for this system - of course there is; but, it is a convenient way to suspends all kinds of things from the ceiling when needed.

HFS
Very clever. Thanks for posting!

keith

Back