What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My First Flight of My RV8

PhatRV

Well Known Member
Patron
I finally took my first flight on my RV8. I flew from the rear seat and the test pilot, Justin Gillen, flew up front as additional pilot. This flight was my first flight but Justin had made 3 test flights prior, including a short shake down maiden flight. We made two flights today, just over 1hr each. We wanted to keep the CG movement to be as little as possible

There was no roll trim needed at all speed range. There was no heavy wing, The RV8 roll was quick but easily controlled to the left and to the right. Pitch force was light at 74% CG. Max speed as 174mph IAS, at 2650RPM, with no wheel pants. We flew most of the flight at 4500feet to keep the manifold pressure as high as possible to continue with the engine break in. Stall was very benign at 60mph clean, with zero wing drop.

My friend Steve took the videos from the ground and I stitched them into the Youtube video below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnqnlW14BME

Last edited:
I finally took my first flight on my RV8. I flew from the rear seat and the test pilot, Justin Gillen, flew up front as additional pilot. This flight was my first flight but the Justin had made 3 test flights prior, including a short shake down maiden flight. We made two flights today, just over 1hr each. We wanted to keep the CG movement to be as little as possible

There was no roll trim needed at all speed range. There was no heavy wing, The RV8 roll was quick but easily controlled to the left and to the right. Pitch force was light at 74% CG. Max speed as 174mph IAS, at 2650RPM, with no wheel pants. We flew most of the flight at 4500feet to keep the manifold pressure as high as possible to continue with the engine break in. Stall was very benign at 60mph clean, with zero wing drop.

My friend Steve took the videos from the ground and I stitched them into the Youtube video below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnqnlW14BME

Congrats! I enjoyed the video. Hope to see you around AJO sometime. I am based at L18.

One major thing I noticed was the rear pedal pucks are almost useless on the ground. I had to stomp on them with all my leg strength to be able to control the steering. If the tailwheel is unlock, like when you do a 360 degree clearing sweep prior to takeoff, then arresting the turn was hard. It was like flying two different airplanes.

In the air, the pucks worked out fine. They are very non-responsive on the ground.

I had a few drops of oil leak from the bottom of the oil cooler. It was difficult to tighten the 90deg AN fitting at the bottom bung in order to clock it correctly for the oil hose. I have to change something here after Phase1. The only oil came from the engine that I notice was from this place. There was little if any oil came from the crankcase breather tube.

Yup. Rear pedals on the ground not great.. Gotta have someone up front that you trust with your pride and joy.

Back