What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Milspec fastener retention

Radioflyer

Well Known Member
My oil door is kept closed by these 2 Milspec winged fasteners. They are -4 size. What is the correct part number used to retain these to the door so that they don't fall off when the door opens?

Attachments

• milspec.jpg
    milspec.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 89
Rongawer, the O-ring idea might do the trick for me, thanks.
However, I just can't tell what series my winged studs are. I know they are stainless, and have a -4 on them, but I'm wondering if it matters whether they are 2600, 2700, or 4002 series and whether I should use the retaining split washer or the solid internal tooth washer. I can see how the split washer allows the stud to be loose while reatined on the oil door, but maybe the solid washer would be better.
In the meantime, I'll try the O-ring idea.

Camloc retaining washer

I just bought some Camloc 2700/2600-LW Retaining Washers from Aircraft Spruce.

95 cents a piece! The inner toothed washers that came with the Camlocs in the kit.

They were removed when the plane was painted 10 or more years ago and I finally got around to replacing them.

The Camlocs look very much like the picture your posted.

Jim Sharkey
RV6

Ok, it looks like the proper retaining part is the 2600-LW like was mentioned. Someday I’ll get some of those. Meanwhile, I tried a 1/4” Id x 1/16” O-ring and it seems to do the trick. A 3/16” id O-ring would have been better.

Rongawer, the O-ring idea might do the trick for me, thanks.
However, I just can't tell what series my winged studs are. I know they are stainless, and have a -4 on them, but I'm wondering if it matters whether they are 2600, 2700, or 4002 series and whether I should use the retaining split washer or the solid internal tooth washer. I can see how the split washer allows the stud to be loose while reatined on the oil door, but maybe the solid washer would be better.
In the meantime, I'll try the O-ring idea.

The Camloc (also Skybolt or MilSpec) 2000 series fasteners are 0.250" diameter and 4000 series are 0.430" diameter. The R4G fastener I referenced earlier is for the 4000 series, but if you stick with o-rings, a 1/16" width o-ring just slightly smaller than the fastener dimension will act like a rubber band around the fastener while retaining the fastener within the grommet.

They don't last as long as the metal retainers, but certainly easier to remove from your panel (cowl, oil door, inspection cover, etc...) and a LOT less expensive.

Back