What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MDRA inspections

Don Patrick

Well Known Member
Hello folks,

I've talk to a few different folks about how far to go as far as closing up the empennage.

Some thoughts are to leave the rear spar off so that they can see in and some are of the view to leave the top skin off, but rivet the bottom.

Following the plans, I see the best option of leaving the top skin clecoed and the rear spar off?

Suggestions from those that have been there done that?

Thanks

MDRA

Inspectors insist on being able to see into all area before they are closed. I left the spar off the vstab, and one end of each skin on other emp pieces not closed. If there are holes that works too. To save a few bucks I had the fues and emp and wing preclose all done at once. They peak in everything, give you a few comments, check that you are the builder and have a clue and give you your paperwork. No big deal, prime all, rivet cleanly, fix any nasties and remove all scratches. When they leave a few hours work and the tail is DONE, and floors of fuel are done, you are golden.

Cheers.

Back