What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MD-RA / RASI Mandated Fuel System Design

kearney

Well Known Member
Hi

Since 2019 I have been fighting a battle against installation of gascolators in RV aircraft. Although in 2019 I was informed by Transport Canada Civil Aviation (TCCA) that “inline filters and low point drains were an acceptable replacement for a gascolator”. This has yet to be put into effect even though I have been repeatedly told that TCCA “does not prescriptively require the installation of a gascolator”.

Recreational Aviation Services Inc (RASI), the entity that controls the MD-RA inspectors who inspect amateur built aircraft in Canada has refused to honour this TCCA commitment.

RASI directors, who also serve as inspectors, have developed a new fuel system requirement – the requirement that inline filters have drains. The “approved design” requires installation of a 1/8 NPT Curtis drain on the body of the inline filters. The RASI recommended filters have a wall thickness of .15-16” while the ANSI specification for NPT fittings (ANSI/ASME 81.20.1-1983) requires a thread engagement of 0.25” for proper sealing
Therefore, drains installed per the RASI specification are unsafe as they are improperly installed. If they leak, air will enter the fuel lines causing a very lean condition, possible catastrophic engine damage or complete engine stoppage. Even properly installed, the Curtis drain, if it leaks, presents the same risks.

In 2022, a RASI director attended my inspection and insisted that his design be implemented as a precondition to issuing a flight authority. Fortunately, TCCA inspectors were also present and subsequently issued a flight authority over the director’s objections.

Interestingly, the director inserted the following “snag” in the inspection report: “fuel system has no way to sample fuel for water”. I am sure this will be of interest to the engineers at Van’s and the 11,000 owners flying RV aircraft.

Builders should note that inspectors may only "inspect". It is against TCCA policy for inspectors to provide direction on how any "defect" is to be corrected. It is certainly against TCCA policy for RASI directors to develop a novel fuel system design and then require its implementation.

I recommend that any builders for whom this is of concern contact TCCA directly for guidance. My preferred contact is the Chief of Operational Airworthiness Jeffrey Phipps. He is responsible for the amateur built aircraft program and issued the gascolator relief email found on my website : https://rv10.ca/gascolators-amateur-built-aircraft

Jeffrey Phipps
Chief, Operational Airworthiness (AARTM) Standards Branch
Transport Canada Civil Aviation
330 Sparks Street, Ottawa (Ontario) K1A 0N8 Tel: (613) 952‐4386 | Cell: (343) 999‐8145
[email protected]

Thanks for the update. It's unfortunate that a bureaucracy has so much inertia they are willing to create unsafe solutions for a problem that doesn't exist.

Back