What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maybe flying VFR from Lubbock, TX to Inyokern,CA

AX-O

Well Known Member
I just wanted to see if you guys could suggest any good places to stop for fuel or just facilitate the trip. If all goes well my dad and I will be flying a 1946 Cessna 140 from Lubbock, TX (KLBB) to Inyokern, CA (KIYK) soon. I know the terrain elevation is very high some places for a little 140. So if you have traveled from TX to CA in a low performance aircraft, could you tell me the route you took? I am in the flight-planning stages of the trip.

TX to CA

This was my route from near Austin to Palm Springs:

KBMQ-LLO-SJT-MAF-KROW (fuel)-PIO-WHOLE-EWM-KDMN-SSO-P33 (fuel)-KDMA (to see the aircraft graveyard)-TFD-GBN-VICKO-BLH-KPSP

Not a lot of elevation issues and usually roads within vision. You can go direct to KROW, Bronco 2 MOA starts at 10,000'. Once in CA you'll need to route around a lot of special airspace just north of where this route brings you in to get to Inyokern.

Logged 6.2 in a Long EZ. Your results may vary.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've done a similar route twice. I followed I-40 the whole way. Plenty of airports along the way, nice big runway (road) all the way and no significant terrain problems. I have a friend who did this in a 1950 Cessna 140A. After you pass a big dry lake bed (Edwards) off your right wing tip, turn north. You can even take detours to Sedona and the Grand Canyon. Sounds like a fun trip. Fly in the early morning and when noon comes around stop wherever you are and see the sights.

I-10

azrv6 said:
I've done a similar route twice. I followed I-40 the whole way. Plenty of airports along the way, nice big runway (road) all the way and no significant terrain problems. I have a friend who did this in a 1950 Cessna 140A. After you pass a big dry lake bed (Edwards) off your right wing tip, turn north. You can even take detours to Sedona and the Grand Canyon. Sounds like a fun trip. Fly in the early morning and when noon comes around stop wherever you are and see the sights.

I-10 (the Santa Monica Freeway in CA, or the Katy Freeway in Houston) is much lower than the I-40 route.

I would go from the El Paso area to Demming, Tucson, West Phoenix (Buckeye), Blythe, Desert Center, S of 29 Palms, Victorville, home. Low terrain all of the way... the only really unpopulated area you will cross is from Desert Center to 29 Palms (doesn't include W. TX.... :) ...)

We have cheap fuel at 57AZ ... if you do some stuff and let me know when you are passing through....

gil in Tucson

Back