What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual trim cable install quest

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
The elevator has a treaded bracket riveted into the bottom skin. The cable housing end screws into the little bracket. The path for cable through the horizontal stabilizer and fuse bulkhead is too twisty/rubbing to simply screw the cable into the elevator bracket.
On my 3B , I extended the cable out far enough to tread the elevator on the cable, then push the cable back end to install the elevator. THIS REQUIRED ROTATING THE ELEVATOR LIKE HALF PROPELLER due to the treaded arrangement.

I am ready to install the elevator on 4 my project. CAN YOU RECOMMEND A BETTER WAY TO GO ABOUT THIS TASK ?

First: make sure you have the latest threaded bracket from Vans. There was a SB on the old bracket as they were welded on only one side of the 'nut' and were breaking off. :oops: I think the replacement was $5 or something. When I took the old bracket off, the nut snapped off the metal plate with VERY little pressure. So: you should be able to see a weld bead on both sides of the nut where it welds onto the mounting plate. I'm not sure when they started supplying the new bracket. A minor PITA to drill the old one out and replace it but well worth doing.

OK: Having recently replaced my bracket, I also was up against putting the cable housing back in the nut. I disconnected the housing from the front control arm and pushed and twisted it back onto the bracket. It will actually work without taking the elevator off. At least mine did. And I don't remember having anyone helping but it may help to have someone up front twisting the cable while you thread it into the nut. The housing was flexible enough that it worked. I MAY have cheated and threaded the bracket on the housing some first, having pushed the cable back before I blind riveted it into place. YMMV.

Good luck!! Working on airplanes can be such a JOY!!

Back