What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lunch with Rosie: Central BBQ in Memphis, Saturday April 11th @ 11am

Rosie

Well Known Member
I've never been to Memphis, and since it's on my way to the Carolinas, I'll be departing Dallas this Saturday morning, April 11th for General Dewitt Spain Airport, north of Memphis for fuel, food and fun! I plan to arrive ~11am and have lunch at Central BBQ then drive over to Graceland.

If you'd like to get some flying in, it would be great to have lunch with you :) Rosie

Last edited:
If you eat at the Hard 8 in Friday, you're going to be disappointed in Memphis Bar-B-Q.

Everyone has his own idea of what Bar-B-Q is supposed to taste like, but personally I've never been impressed with the stuff in Memphis.

If you eat at the Hard 8 in Friday, you're going to be disappointed in Memphis Bar-B-Q.

Everyone has his own idea of what Bar-B-Q is supposed to taste like, but personally I've never been impressed with the stuff in Memphis.

I think this thread now may need to move into the never ending debate section.

Don't make me close this thread....put your hands down...no fighting ;) Rosie

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this thread now may need to move into the never ending debate section.

Don't make me close this thread....put your hands down...no fighting ;) Rosie

I more than likely have known Rosie longer than anyone else on this Forum. One thing I can say about Rosie, I have never seen him have any food that he did not like.

I agree that this is not the place to compare Texas, Kansas City, Memphis, West Virginia, or Georgia BBQ. I am just one of those Yankee's that likes it all.

This sounds like a good excuse to fly. Not that I need an excuse.:)
I'll be there, weather permitting.
Rich Emery

Excellent! See you there Rich, WX permitting! Rosie

Rosie, count me in. I live in the Memphis area and enjoy pork barbecue often. I think you'll like it!

Excellent! See you there Mark, WX permitting! Rosie

Blues City Cafe

On my way to Sun n Fun I ate at the Blues City Cafe in Memphis. I am not an expert on barbeque but I was impressed with their food. Would like to join you guys, but busy that week-end. I also walked down Beale St and listened to some of the blues bands.

Alabama Barbecue - Big Bob Gibson's

Here in North Alabama we are proud of Big Bob Gibson's Barbecue, winner of multiple awards and purveyor of some mighty good barbecue.

So Rosie, if you ever come this way, I'll treat you and Tuppergal to some Big Bob Gibson's Barbecue. :)

I'll take you up on that one day Don! Rosie

OK, I'll remember that, Rosie, and I'll also mention I have room for your RV in my hangar. ;-)

Last edited:
Weather is looking just fine from Dallas to meet you all in Memphis for lunch. I'll plan to be on the ramp early at General Dewitt Spain Airport to meet & greet! :D Rosie

Rosie's on the move again. FlightRadar24 has him at 7500 ft, 168 knots, 68 deg, near Paris, Tx going to Memphis.
Weathermeister predicts a beautiful VFR flight.

Update: ETA...10:20 AM CDT on the ramp at Dewitt Spain airport.

10:20 Update: Rosie has landed at Dewitt Spain airport in Memphis!

Last edited:
Rosie's on the move again. FlightRadar24 has him at 7500 ft, 168 knots, 68 deg, near Paris, Tx going to Memphis.
Weathermeister predicts a beautiful VFR flight.

Update: ETA...10:20 AM CDT on the ramp at Dewitt Spain airport.

10:20 Update: Rosie has landed at Dewitt Spain airport in Memphis!

My thanks to Don for keeping an eye on me and MANY THANKS to Rich Emery for flying his RV-7A 1.5 hours, one-way, to have lunch (and see the Graceland souvenir store) with me in Memphis :D Rosie

Caribbean_061.jpg

Rosie,
It was a fun day and it was great to meet you.
When I got home and mentioned Graceland, my wife was ready to choke me until I told her
the whole story :)
Safe travels on your trip. Maybe I can join you someday.

Rich Emery
St Peters, Mo
RV7A Flying since 2012

BBQ and good weather

The best reason I know of to go flying:)
The air was a little bumpy heading home so I SLOWED DOWN to 140 knots:)
These RVs are great machines.

Rich Emery
RV7A flying since 2012

Back