What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lower Cowl close-out panel problem - RV-9A with revised front gear

KazooRV-9A

Well Known Member
Patron
Having trouble with the installation of the FF-0097A/B rear cowl close-out per Dwg. 45 on my 9A. The drawing doesn't seem to accurately depict the position of the front gear leg Fairing. The FF-0097A/B interferes with the fairing by about an inch or so. I can't seem to visualize how it should fit, or what i need to further trim etc...
Does anyone have a picture of how they installed the close-out?

IMG_0118.jpgIMG_0124.jpgIMG_0125.jpgIMG_0126.jpgIMG_0127.jpgIMG_0128.jpg

Did you put the bolts/screws in the upper and lower part of the gear leg fairing? These set the position of the leg inside the fairing. Also the top part of the fairing will be trimmed down in height.

Your gear appears to be too far back. Please make sure it is assembled correctly. Mine fight exactly as shown on drawings.

I trimmed the fairing on the lines that were drawn on them from Van’s….. yes the fairing is bolted at the upper and lower points. I’ll be absolutely amazed if the gear leg has been installed somehow incorrectly,,, would sure love to see some pictures of a 9A installation…

The leg is installed per the Dwgs I received with the updated front landing gear. I trimmed the lower cowl even with the firewall which looks to be how it’s shown on the drawings. The location of the fairing is not as shown on the Van’s dwg top view..

IMG_0135.jpegIMG_0134.jpegIMG_0137.jpeg

I think your fairing is too long. I trimed the trailing edge so the two sides formed a "V" with the piano hinge in the vertex. That's all I can think of. Everything else looks similar to mine.

You haven't completed the fairing close out step.
The hinge drops in just behind the "sandwich" formed by the trailing edge. Once the hinge is installed, you cut the remaining 1/2" or so off that trailing edge. See magenta line in the attached.

IMG_0137.jpg

Yep, most, if not all, of that flange gets trimmed off. Here’s what my -7 looks like. I could have trimmed even more if I wanted to.

Attachments

• C8E9DFE9-B22E-4E41-8BC1-DC645EF18A46.jpeg
    C8E9DFE9-B22E-4E41-8BC1-DC645EF18A46.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
Well interesting....I was not reading the written instructions of section 10-3 for the installation only of the lower fairing close-outs I am doing.. I had only put the nose gear fairing in place (without the hinge installed) per the dwgs, to work on the close-out pieces. Back to work now to install the hinge and trim the front fairing sandwich tail segment, then re-look at the rear close-out for clearance,
Thank you for the help!

Back