What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED RV Sign

rv12is

Just got done building my "neon" rv sign. I liked how it turned out, and thought I'd share it here.
Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 11.35.18 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-12-18 at 8.46.22 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-12-18 at 9.14.51 PM.png

It's inspired by an RV-12, and has a wingspan of 45 inches. I used a 5 meter long, 6 mm wide LED strip. The LEDs are a press fit into the frame. They need to be cut into multiple segments. I made sure to use LED strips that could be cut every centimeter so I wouldn't get stuck with any large gaps between segments. I drilled holes where necessary and ran wires out the back. To keep the wires hidden, they were hot glued to the backside of the frame.
Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 8.45.19 PM.png

This is way too big to print on a normal sized 3d printer in one piece, so I broke it up into smaller pieces. I also designed connector pieces that fit into the channels at the seams. This ensures alignment and provides some additional strength.

Files are here, if anyone else wants to make one.
https://www.printables.com/model/684538-led-airplane-sign

I love this. I have some of these LED "neon" lights to put in my RV-8
as accent lights.
Just got done building my "neon" rv sign. I liked how it turned out, and thought I'd share it here.
View attachment 52742View attachment 52743View attachment 52746

It's inspired by an RV-12, and has a wingspan of 45 inches. I used a 5 meter long, 6 mm wide LED strip. The LEDs are a press fit into the frame. They need to be cut into multiple segments. I made sure to use LED strips that could be cut every centimeter so I wouldn't get stuck with any large gaps between segments. I drilled holes where necessary and ran wires out the back. To keep the wires hidden, they were hot glued to the backside of the frame.
View attachment 52744

This is way too big to print on a normal sized 3d printer in one piece, so I broke it up into smaller pieces. I also designed connector pieces that fit into the channels at the seams. This ensures alignment and provides some additional strength.

Files are here, if anyone else wants to make one.
https://www.printables.com/model/684538-led-airplane-sign

I’ve started preparing the individual files to print, is it right that the files don’t start from 1 on the numbering? Will piecing the individual parts together be self explanatory as the ones I’ve sliced so far don’t look obvious in terms of what they represent?

Are you also able to share an example of the type of LED strip you used?

Thanks!
Matt

I’ve started preparing the individual files to print, is it right that the files don’t start from 1 on the numbering? Will piecing the individual parts together be self explanatory as the ones I’ve sliced so far don’t look obvious in terms of what they represent?

Are you also able to share an example of the type of LED strip you used?

Thanks!
Matt
The part numbers aren't in any particular order. Once they're all printed, (I think) there's only one way where they'll all fit together and look reasonable. I didn't do anything to label the parts. But, I did try to break the pieces up into different lengths and at different angles. Let me know if you have any problems.

Here's a link to the LED strip I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SHZZ45X.

Thanks, appreciate it! I got the first file done and printed, my printer makes a mess with next 2 sequential numbers, it’s very tight for my bed dimensions, so I may have to have a rethink or outsource the printing of a few of the elements

Back