What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kirker EnduroPrime Weight

wirejock

Well Known Member
Maybe this will help someone. I've always been curious about paint and watching weight.
Except mine. I really need to shed some "LB's" :D

Anyway. I use Kirker EnduroPrime. It's a 2K epoxy.
I weighed four large parts so the number should be pretty accurate. It was consistent across the four parts. However, it's probably only of value to my style of painting. I spray two coats. One fog and one medium just to opaque. I try to keep it as thin as possible.

I use an Excel calculator set at 2.5 ft² per mixed ounce to measure chems. I throw away very little.

The cured paint weight resulting average is 5.6 grams per ft².

It works out to about 5lbs of primer if I were to shoot the exterior of the airplane. Not gonna happen. I'm using vinyl. That's another thread. I will post the ft² weight.

Where this really comes into play is spraying the interior and calculating the paint weight on the exterior. It's significant. I've posted before about using one paint for the interior and saving weight. I missed the opportunity, but if I did it again, I would pick a 2K epoxy primer and shoot it as both primer and interior paint. Figure 6 grams per ft² instead of two paints and probably twice that weight. Mine is actually P60G2 with SW Jet Flex. Since P60G2 weighs basically nothing, my net weight is pretty close to a one paint interior. Still not a fan of Jet Flex. I sanded six floor panels down. They took a beating during the build and were really ugly. I sprayed them with EnduroPrime. Virtually identical in color and far less expensive.

And if anyone is concerned about longevity, the wheels on my 4X4 were sprayed with White EnduroPrime years ago. They still look new after all the sun and salt in Colorado. I would not worry a bit about using a similar 2K epoxy on an interior.

I will post the weight of the Kirker UltraGlo Single Stage Urethane in another thread as well. Before and after Cut & Buff.

Last edited:
Back