What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Johnson Creek, ID - Landing an "A" model on grass

intothinair

Well Known Member
Has anyone landed at Johnson Creek, ID (3U2) recently in an "A" model and can provide a runway condition report? I am concerned about the nosewheel digging in to the turf.

Thank you.

Has anyone landed at Johnson Creek, ID (3U2) recently in an "A" model and can provide a runway condition report? I am concerned about the nosewheel digging in to the turf.

Thank you.

It has been a couple years since I was there with my 6A but it is usually considered one of the nicest grass runways most people will ever land on.
Use good soft field technique and you will be fine.

I was there about 10 days ago for the first time. We were in a Cessna 206 along with about 40 or more other airplanes that were tied down. Nobody mentioned any concerns and it looked good to me.

That’s some cool kinda flying. Now I need a Maule, dammit!:D

RV6A

No problem in my six A, hold the stick all the way back to parking. Don’t go in gross weight, there is fuel 20 minutes away. I would be cautious right after a rain storm. Watch the utubes on approach techniques. Have fun.

I’m brand new to this backcountry flying thing but it’s a good question IMO. When we left Johnson Creek for Big Creek the “ local knowledge “ was to avoid the first several hundred yards at the approach end due to “soft turf”. Was very true and a good thing to know.

There are webcams at many of these strips I understand…

I need a Maule, mutter, mutter, mutter…

Back Country flying.......

I’m brand new to this backcountry flying thing but it’s a good question IMO. When we left Johnson Creek for Big Creek the “ local knowledge “ was to avoid the first several hundred yards at the approach end due to “soft turf”. Was very true and a good thing to know. There are webcams at many of these strips I understand… I need a Maule, mutter, mutter, mutter…

The Cub squeaks into some really interesting places! Tighter than those a Maule could get in, I would wager. ;) Just takes a bit longer to get there. But, hey, I go flying to go flying; if I happen to get somewhere as well: bonus! :D

It opens up a whole new world of flying that not a whole lot of pilots are interested in. Which is fine with me: fewer people! The non -A types are better at getting into places but the -As will probable do well on a whole host of new places!

Thank you to all that replied to my inquiry. I will practice the soft field landing/takeoff technique at my home airport prior to the flight.

There is no issue landing any A model on reasonable condition grass, does not have to be perfectly smooth, just reasonable. Land on the main wheels at the correct speed and you will be fine.
Pete (6A for 17 years and plenty of short grass airfields)

Try this to arrive on speed. Select right tank, fly downwind hard against the hill at 6000 ft, turn left over the spine when you go can't straight anymore (about 0:13 here), power to idle, and hold a hard left turning slip all the way to short final (about 0:45 here).

Strip is nice.

https://youtu.be/kiWJLMMQPhA

Attachments

• Johnson CreekTerrain.jpg
    Johnson CreekTerrain.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thank you to all that replied to my inquiry. I will practice the soft field landing/takeoff technique at my home airport prior to the flight.

Also study up on back country techniques for narrow canyon flying, dangers of high and hot etc...

Try this to arrive on speed. Select right tank, fly downwind hard against the hill at 6000 ft, turn left over the spine when you go can't straight anymore (about 0:13 here), power to idle, and hold a hard left turning slip all the way to short final (about 0:45 here).

Strip is nice.

https://youtu.be/kiWJLMMQPhA

This is the second video I've seen of Dan landing his -8....very nicely done!! I want to fly like Dan :D

Johnson Creek - Post trip report

One factor that I did not consider was the length of the grass at Johnson Creek. The caretakers were away for 3 days and the grass was about 5" at either end of the runway.

This had a severe impact on my early morning take-off roll. Consider this as well as big game running across the field and high density altitude. Within a few days of my arrival, 2 aircraft crashed in the Idaho Backcountry (Big Creek and Cavanaugh Bay). Temperatures were high.

Caretakers at Johnson Creek

The caretaker situation at Johnson Creek is a sad one. The * new pair of caretakers arrived this season - a husband and wife team - and in very short order her son died unexpectedly and she had to depart which left Duane all alone to try to get up to speed and to manage things. He’s no spring chicken and it looked to me like a lot of work and responsibility. Maybe they finally got a three day break.

Some respect please!

We spent the first two weeks at Johnson Creek in July like we have done the last 15 years. Over this period of time we have encountered and gotten to know many different caretakers. All of them told us that they received very minimal guidance concerning the tasks they would be required to perform. Idaho Aeronautics has always had difficulty in finding persons willing to take on the task
and therefore may be reluctant to issue a comprehensive list of duties.

We found Duane and Pauline to be genuinely nice people who had no idea how demanding this task is. I pointed out several things to Duane in a nice way and he was very responsive to it and thanked me for it. Please remember that these caretakers have volunteered for a job that pays little and nobody wants.

By the way, I had no trouble flying my 7A in and out despite the somewhat taller grass. After all this is a back country airstrip and you should not expect big airport perfection and be prepared to deal with less than ideal conditions. Some times that means waiting for the grass to dry or operating with a lighter load or ferrying part of your load to McCall.

Remember that having these back country strips to fly to is a privilege that could be discontinued any time the state decides that they are too much of hassle for them.

Thank you Martin Sutter for your response. I flew professionally, lived and played in Idaho for a combined ten years. Johnson Creek has drawn far too much attention over the past three decades and I prefer less traveled strips now. Idaho has per capita, the most backcountry strips besides Alaska. Lets not mess it up!

Thank you Martin Sutter for your response. I flew professionally, lived and played in Idaho for a combined ten years. Johnson Creek has drawn far too much attention over the past three decades and I prefer less traveled strips now. Idaho has per capita, the most backcountry strips besides Alaska. Lets not mess it up!

Which would you recommend? I haven't been up there and thinking about making a trip up that way in the next couple of weeks in my 4.

Thanks,
Kris

Back