What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is there a problem with Van's gauges?

Mel

Legacy Member
Mentor
I've noticed quite a few posts of people having problems with Van's gauges. When I flew the factory -9, I noticed that the manifold pressure gauge was somewhat slow to react. Right now I am working on a -6 that had a runaway alternater. The only "Van's" gauges in the airplane are the fuel gauges and they were the only gauges in the airplane to fail. Is this a coincidence?

Van gauge issues?

Mel said:
I've noticed quite a few posts of people having problems with Van's gauges. When I flew the factory -9, I noticed that the manifold pressure gauge was somewhat slow to react. Right now I am working on a -6 that had a runaway alternate. The only "Van's" gauges in the airplane are the fuel gauges and they were the only gauges in the airplane to fail. Is this a coincidence?
Mel I have made the same observation. The last time I said anything I got a surprise personal e-mail from a Van employee that my comments where irresponsible, when I implied that there was design or possibly quality issues.

I'll just say they are a "VALUE" product that does what Van says, and Van's supports their product. Which I do believe. However I know that both Van's ammeter and MAP gauges seem subject to radio frequency interference (RFI). Typical complaint is they "Peg" when you key the Comm radio mic. I also know that "Van" said this is OK when they where notified. I helped solve one of these problems and it involved moving wires, twisting wire pairs.

Again if you have a problem contact Van and let them solve it. I personally have a GRT EIS 4000 which I am satisfied. My Van gauge experience is thru a friend and another Gent I corresponded with, who I helped solve another Van gauge problem, I mean issue.

I have read the other problems from a few others. So to be responsible I am aware of a handful of issues and most have to deal with the RFI issue. There was also a few Van gauges that died, but I don't have personal knowledge of those.

I have not heard of a slow reacting MAP I have heard of one person complaining about their oil pressure slow to react. Van's position on their product is they support it and they are not aware of any overall consistent problem, and all issues are unique, case by case. My opinion is their MAP and Amp gauges are prone to RFI in some installations.

I think Van's (ISS) gauges are way better than Westach. I used Westach on my first RV and was not impressed. For them money they are inexpensive, so what do you expect. When people charge 10 times or more for a gauge, they are a deal, but I also think you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Vans gauges

Mel:

The only Van's gauge I have in my -8 is fuel pressure. After 95 flight hours with it I'm at the point where it no longer shocks me to show readings anywhere from .5 to 9+.

I was flying at cruise power the other day and looked down (in my airplane it's near the manual fuel switch) and saw the needle approaching the redline. About 30 seconds later, I watched it as it moved from near 10 to 5 then to 6. On today's flight it was at about 4 (middle of green) most of the time. Now it's possible that a wire is loose or touching that causes this, but I've yet to see any consistency other than inconsistency.

The rest of my gauges (which I wired the same way) work fine.

Chris

I also had some issues with Vans Gauges with erratic and fluctuating readings but the issue was traced to an inadequate grounding problem... 200+ hrs later they are working fine....

Mel,

My experience with Van's gauges has been variable. The fuel quantity gauge appear to be reliable - 500.4 hours and still going fine - and reasonably accurate for float sensors. I threw out all of the others I had 200 hours ago. The manifold pressure would always go full scale when the PTT was pressed (I know there is a fix, but why doesn't the manufacturer embody it?), it then quit entirely. Next to go was the oil pressure (on base leg into Oshkosh, not very good timing). After that experience I fitted a ERT EIS-4000 I found out that the CHT and oil temperature gauges had been ready low. The fuel pressure was always erratic, and I blamed the gauge; it was still erratic with the EIS-4000, the engine has now been overhaulled and it is still occasionally erratic, so I'm not sure the Van's gauge was at fault.

When I spoke to Van's they offered to replace all of the broken gauges FOC. However, I wanted all cylinder CHT & EGT monitoring, so I took them out of the airplane.

Van's gauges seem to be reasonably priced for what they are. I would use the fuel gauges again, but few others, but then I'm looking at fitting a GRT or Advanced glass engine monitor.

Pete

Don't get me wrong. With an overvoltage situation, I expect things to fail. I just thought it was interesting that the only ones that failed were the "Van's" gauges. All other gauges (Mitchel) survived. It also took out the transponder and nav lights. But fortunately the ever important Loran survived. Anyone in the market for an Arnav Loran? Still works!

Last edited:
If you guys are running GRT 4000 like I am and start having erratic fuel pressure check the conections at the transducer, I have spade conectors and if they get the least bit corroded or loose the fuel pressure will become erratic. i went thru two transducers before i figured out what my problem was

Van's gauges

I may have started this discussion on another thread. I have Vans tach, fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp, voltmeter, fuel (2), and CHT. I replaced the tach key (cause was probably builder error) works fine now for over 100hrs. The only other problem has been my recent intermittent oil pressure guage. All other gauges have worked fine. I have done my best to troubleshoot OP and unless I find a grounding problem tomorrow, I'm going to get another $34 oil pressure guage from Vans. Comparable priced gauges like westach seem to have problems of their own. I'm not ready to rewire my panel for a new EIS (for awhile yet) and don't have the $$ for the fancy single gauges. just my $.02. Jack

Van's MP Gauge

I HAD an issue with my Van's MP Gauge where the gauge would indicate a higher MP reading when the mike was keyed on either comm. We looked at antenna bonding, etc., my mech found that by moving and isolating the MP transducer, the gauge quit doing that. I used to key the mike on take off to get the extra MP boost!!

Bad Tach

Mel.
I am having problems with Van's tach. The hour meter will not keep time. It is loging about 10 to 1 on the time. RPM on the first gage was good but the replacement is jumping about 100 rpm. It is worse on time than the first!

My amp meter went full scale when the mic PTT was pushed and I have it down to about 1/4 deflection now. I can live with it!

One thing that has happened to me is that all high impedance gauges display a full deflection when RF from a transmitter is leaking in the cockpit. This includes my Electronics International manifold pressure gauge and their EGT/CHT gauge. It doesn't seem to hurt the gauge and it only occurs when I am on the radio talking. My experience with Van's gauges is similar.

A ham radio guy I know says that the issue is "rectification" of some of the "leaky" radio frequency energy during radio transmission. It seems the RF becomes an impressed voltage on the power and sensor leads of the guages which "overpowers" the signal voltage that is coming from the probes.

Moving the wiring or shielding the wiring might help but I guess in my case who cares as long as it hurts nothing.

cl

Chickenlips said:
A ham radio guy I know says that the issue is "rectification" of some of the "leaky" radio frequency energy during radio transmission. It seems the RF becomes an impressed voltage on the power and sensor leads of the guages which "overpowers" the signal voltage that is coming from the probes.

Moving the wiring or shielding the wiring might help but I guess in my case who cares as long as it hurts nothing.

cl

For what it's worth, you might check that your comm antenna BNC connector is secure. I had a problem on my flight home from LOE last year that caused my EI gauges to cycle through the annunciator lights whenever I pressed the microphone transmit button. I was also expriencing progressive degradation of radio reception. On further inspection, it turned out that the BNC connector (under my footwell in the floor on an RV-8) was not fully engaged. Once I checked this, all the problems disappeared.

Chris

No problems yet

All but an EI volt/amp meter and an EI UGB-16 are Van's instruments and except for the MP fluctuating with RF transmitting they are working fine. They have been flying for about 150 hours and it could be just good luck but my fuel gages are accurate to +/- one gallon in level flight.

I've had more trouble with Bendix-King and Narco than anything from Vans. I even smoked up the cockpit with my transponder (fortunately on home field downwind leg).

I heard all the complaints about the MP fluctuations before I installed them but I don't talk much and when I do I'm usually looking outside so what is the big deal.

I has 2 bad tach generators within the first 10 hours. Van's graciously bought the third one. They said they had experienced some failures of this item about 1 in one hundred, but still considered it a very reliable unit!

Back