What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to start the aircraft logbook "right"?

Estevanb

Hi all,

As I am approaching the end of my project, I decided toggle it a go at the logbooks. I figured I have no idea on how to fill it out and I thought I might ask for some tips here.

A few questions I have in mind:

Should I list all installed components and serial numbers and date installed during the build process? in which section of the log book?
As far as Service Bulletin goes, should I list all of them regardless if they apply to my specific build or not and they describe if/why they would apply to my build?
Do I need to dress one by one? Or could I list them all and say I have addressed all service bulletins during build phase?
Should I list expiration dates of ELT batteries?
Is the aircraft logbook the right place to register O2 cylinder data like serial number, date of tests and etc..?

I appreciate if anyone could share a few logbook pictures and/or tips on how to tackle this bureaucratic part of the project.

Thanks!

If you are installing a new Lyc, you already have that logbook. I would start out with an entry stating it was installed in your airframe, and a. similliar entry in airframe log stating same. Easier to make a seperate equipment list for accessories including part and serial #'s. Since you will be signing off a Conditon Inspection prior to DAR inspection, you can list S.B.'s that have been complied or N/A. ELT battery expiration should also be included. I would also make an entry in engine log stating the engine shall be broken in according to Lyc. Service Bulletin # ?. I would also mention if any conversion to the engine such as F.P. conversion to C.S., again, covered by a Lyc Service Bulletin.

If you are installing a new Lyc, you already have that logbook. I would start out with an entry stating it was installed in your airframe, and a. similliar entry in airframe log stating same. Easier to make a seperate equipment list for accessories including part and serial #'s. Since you will be signing off a Conditon Inspection prior to DAR inspection, you can list S.B.'s that have been complied or N/A. ELT battery expiration should also be included. I would also make an entry in engine log stating the engine shall be broken in according to Lyc. Service Bulletin # ?. I would also mention if any conversion to the engine such as F.P. conversion to C.S., again, covered by a Lyc Service Bulletin.
Thank you Jake!

Do you know if there are any restrictions as to where I make the entries? The logbook I bought is the ASA logbook and it has only 1 page for service bulletins.. Do you know?

Thanks

Remember...there's no regulation that says you have to keep a logbook. What you are required to keep are *records*.

E.g., my annual condition inspection checklist has a section on ADs, with a list of those applicable and an area to note compliance. Since the completed, dated, filled-in checklist goes into a binder with all the previous years' checklists and is itself a RECORD, nothing about ADs goes into the leather-bound Aircraft Logbook or Engine Logbook. The aircraft logbook gets the annual CI sign-off and the biennial XPDR/altimeter checks from the shop that does that work.

Same for oil changes...date, quantity, filter change, etc., are recorded in the oil analysis reports, which are filed in a binder. Piece of cake, reduces duplication of data, constitutes a better record than hand-scrawled notes, and meets the regulations.

I keep a spreadsheet with a list of every serialized item on the entire airplane...and it is WAY more than one would expect, btw. Printout goes...you guessed it...in a binder, thus making it another record.

Last edited:
Remember...there's no regulation that says you have to keep a logbook. What you are required to keep are *records*.

E.g., my annual condition inspection checklist has a section on ADs, with a list of those applicable an area to note compliance. Since the completed, dated, filled-in checklist goes into a binder with all the previous years' checklists and is itself a RECORD, nothing about ADs goes into the leather-bound Aircraft Logbook or Engine Logbook. The aircraft logbook gets the annual CI sign-off and the biennial XPDR/altimeter checks from the shop that does that work.

Same for oil changes...date, quantity, filter change, etc., are recorded in the oil analysis reports, which are filed in a binder. Piece of cake, reduces duplication of data, constitutes a better record than hand-scrawled notes, and meets the regulations.

I keep a spreadsheet with a list of every serialized item on the entire airplane...and it is WAY more than one would expect, btw. Printout goes...you guessed it...in a binder, thus making it another record.
This is very helpful! Thank you!

E.g., my annual condition inspection checklist has a section on ADs, with a list of those applicable and an area to note compliance. Since the completed, dated, filled-in checklist goes into a binder with all the previous years' checklists and is itself a RECORD, nothing about ADs goes into the leather-bound Aircraft Logbook or Engine Logbook. The aircraft logbook gets the annual CI sign-off and the biennial XPDR/altimeter checks from the shop that does that work.

Just a note...I do log, in the propeller logbook, 100-hour grease applications to the prop hub.

Pretty much everything else that gets repaired, replaced, inspected (by other than me) and the like will generate its own paperwork (receipts, inspection reports, compliance statements, ICA documents, what have you) and those all go into maintenance binders.

Back