What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to safely transfer 100LL without blowing myself up

Fugitive

I'm New Here
I am considering a hand transfer pump to be able to top off my tanks at the hangar as our airport does not sell fuel. This pump also fits on the many racing style 5 gallon jugs I have. How should I ground or bond the aircraft or gas can or both to prevent static electricity from blowing up in my face?

FLO-FAST Container With Pump, 10.5-Gallon, Red, For Gasoline, Model# 30050-R

I am considering a hand transfer pump to be able to top off my tanks at the hangar as our airport does not sell fuel. This pump also fits on the many racing style 5 gallon jugs I have. How should I ground or bond the aircraft or gas can or both to prevent static electricity from blowing up in my face?
I use this exact container and pump. I went to Grainger and got a grounding cable and attached it to one of the hangar steel beam bolts going into the ground. I attach the clamp to my grounding point on the RV and attach the ground cable on the pump to the grounding cable, as well.

Last edited:
This may not be exactly what you are considering but maybe will prompt additional thought.

This is the fuel rig I used for one of my aircraft that used mogas that I hauled to the hangar. A PC680 that had been removed from RV service powered a Carter electric fuel pump and pulled fuel through a filter. A steel cable attached to the pump was clipped onto an exhaust stack to provide grounding. This rig would transfer five gallons in about three minutes. The whole contraption was built on a Harbor Fright hand cart.

I originally had a hand crank pump instead of the electric pump but quickly got tired of cranking, much easier to flip a switch and let electrons do the heavy lifting. :)

0920181842_Burst01.jpg

This connects the pump cart to the airplane but what about a ground?

Yes, I used "ground" loosely. Would have been better to state the pump and aircraft would be at the same potential.

The issue of "grounding" a fueling rig has been bounced around forever, haven't seen a consensus as to the absolute answer for this question. I merely offered my fueling rig as another option, some will decide to pursue a different method. I've loaded a lot of mogas into aircraft with just a plastic can and Mr. Funnel while keeping the can in contact with the funnel.

Last edited:
Some FBO's will fuel inside the hangar with the door open and the airplane in the front of the hangar.

I posted recently about the Flofast product.
The pump has a ground wired built into it. Attach that to the aircraft ground point.

Also, no need for any electrical pump as the hand pump will drain 7.5g in about a minute.

I chose the 7.5 gallon size after using a friends set up with the bigger jugs. It was too heavy. 7.5g jugs can be handled individually and two on the cart makes for 15g, a nice amount of fuel.
I also chose the mostly transparent “clear” jugs so I could easily see fuel levels and easily inspect. Be aware that clear jugs are not legal to transport fuel in some states.
I use these on our small farm to fuel equipment but recently used them for a fuel sender recalibration exercise in the RV.
Expensive product but well worth it for my use.

This connects the pump cart to the airplane but what about a ground?
I don't understand the purpose of connecting the (tied together airplane and fuel rig) to the hangar or a true "ground". Seems to me (and I'm professing ignorance and a desire to learn) that as long as the airplane and fueling rig are tied together, there is no need to tie that assemblage to anything else.

I don't understand the purpose of connecting the (tied together airplane and fuel rig) to the hangar or a true "ground". Seems to me (and I'm professing ignorance and a desire to learn) that as long as the airplane and fueling rig are tied together, there is no need to tie that assemblage to anything else.
I agree. As long as the airplane and the fueling tank have the same electrical potential, should be no static spark. Grounding the fueling tank to the airplane should cover that.

I don't see any fuel trucks at the FBO's adding another ground connection to a hangar, tie down ring or anything else. The only grounding wire goes from the fuel truck to the airplane.

A friend of mine in VA had a gas buggy that worked great. I got one when we moved to TN and set it up exactly the same way. Mounted on a used converted jet ski trailer, runs off of a 12V car battery, you can fuel and de-fuel, and it's filtered as you pump. Grounding cable attaches to the aircraft and both the fueling and de-fueling hoses have a built in grounding wire as part of the hose assembly. I added a grounding wire to the tank that attaches to the metal frame on the trailer but that's it. Holds about 65 gallons which keeps it well below the 119 gallon limit for having a special hazmat fuel hauling permit. I can easily tow it to the nearest FBO for a fill up. TN does not require a license plate for towed trailers as long as they stay in state.

IMG_6902.JPG

Could someone help me understand why airplanes are so susceptible to static spark and fire while fueling? Hundreds of thousands of yard equipment, offroad vehicles, motorcycles, generators, watercraft, etc. etc. are fueled every day from plastic jugs.

Could someone help me understand why airplanes are so susceptible to static spark and fire while fueling? Hundreds of thousands of yard equipment, offroad vehicles, motorcycles, generators, watercraft, etc. etc. are fueled every day from plastic jugs.
Static electricity is generated when a low conductivity fuel like petrol flows in a non-conductive pipe. Negative charges accumulate on the pipe wall and positive charges are carried away with the fuel. This charge separation is a similar to what happens when two non-conductive materials are rubbed against each other.
Another reason plastic jugs should be set on the ground to refuel. Do not leave them in your truck bed when refueling. Kind of like smoking a cigarette while you're refueling. I see it all the time and usually get as far away as I can from those folks. Darwin has a way of thinning the herd out sometimes 😜

Could someone help me understand why airplanes are so susceptible to static spark and fire while fueling? Hundreds of thousands of yard equipment, offroad vehicles, motorcycles, generators, watercraft, etc. etc. are fueled every day from plastic jugs

I don’t have a real answer, But my guess is that Aircraft take a lot more fuel than those other machines and the act of transferring the larger volume increases the chances of creating static

I don't have the answer either. I do know that when you buy fuel at the self serve area at the FBO the ground is a true ground (as in it is not the pump connecting to the aircraft). I just assumed (perhaps ignorantly) that grounding the airplane actually meant a cable connected to a grounding rod.

The fuel trucks may be grounded to the negative side of the battery? And that is sufficient? Dunno. But the carts pictured above do not have the option of connecting to the negative terminal on a battery. Again, dunno. In the meantime, at my hangar, I will continue to ground the airplane and connect the FastFlo pump cable to the same spot.

I don’t have a real answer, But my guess is that Aircraft take a lot more fuel than those other machines and the act of transferring the larger volume increases the chances of creating static

Compared to fueling an automobile, airplanes get more volume, the fuel is delivered at higher velocity, and the fueling hoses are longer...therefore greater opportunity for developing a potential charge from the act of refueling. That charge difference between fuel hose/tank and airplane could be dissipated by the metal hose nozzle being in contact with the metal of the gas tank opening since there is a bonding wire in the fueling hose. This is usual in refueling a car, but in refueling an airplane there might be intermittent contact between nozzle and filler neck with opportunity for a spark to jump just at the place where the gasoline fumes will be most dense.

I don't have the answer either. I do know that when you buy fuel at the self serve area at the FBO the ground is a true ground (as in it is not the pump connecting to the aircraft). I just assumed (perhaps ignorantly) that grounding the airplane actually meant a cable connected to a grounding rod.

The fuel trucks may be grounded to the negative side of the battery? And that is sufficient? Dunno. But the carts pictured above do not have the option of connecting to the negative terminal on a battery. Again, dunno. In the meantime, at my hangar, I will continue to ground the airplane and connect the FastFlo pump cable to the same spot.

Both of your assumptions are incorrect.

Both of your assumptions are incorrect.
But I am not incorrect on my assumption that I will continue to ground my airplane when refueling. You can do as you wish. There is a reason you ground the plane to refuel whether either of us know it or not.

Compared to fueling an automobile, airplanes get more volume, the fuel is delivered at higher velocity, and the fueling hoses are longer...therefore greater opportunity for developing a potential charge from the act of refueling. That charge difference between fuel hose/tank and airplane could be dissipated by the metal hose nozzle being in contact with the metal of the gas tank opening since there is a bonding wire in the fueling hose. This is usual in refueling a car, but in refueling an airplane there might be intermittent contact between nozzle and filler neck with opportunity for a spark to jump just at the place where the gasoline fumes will be most dense.
This is one reason the self serve pumps at your local gas station pump at a very slow rate..... but, not the only reason.

Some of the confusion on this subject comes from the fact that this process is often referred to as "grounding". It makes people think that things have to be attached to something stuck in the ground. It would be more precise (and more common) to refer to it as "bonding".

One could "bond" the fueling apparatus to the negative battery terminal, but it would be just as effective (not to mention vastly simpler) to "bond" it via an exhaust pipe or wing tie-down. As to also bonding it to the hangar or something...it's unnecessary but doing so won't hurt one bit as long as the fueling equipment is also attached to the airplane.

eta: The only part that truly matters is that the electrical potential between the fueling equipment and the airplane be the same. If it is, then there can be no spark to ignite fuel vapors. The tiny potential charge difference between the airplane and the actual earth doesn't matter...although that was most likely dissipated by the act of touching the airplane fuel cap. Again though...no actual harm in bonding the airplane to the ground even if we don't know exactly why, so one should do that if it provides some measure of comfort.

Last edited:
The tiny potential charge difference between the airplane and the actual earth doesn't matter...
Please explain why the self serve pumps have a ground wire that is actually attached to a grounding rod stuck in the ground and does not have a bonding wire between the pump and the aircraft. Not being argumentative; seriously would like to know. As you have put it then it seems what the FBOs are providing leaves us at risk.

Please explain why the self serve pumps have a ground wire that is actually attached to a grounding rod stuck in the ground and does not have a bonding wire between the pump and the aircraft. Not being argumentative; seriously would like to know. As you have put it then it seems what the FBOs are providing leaves us at risk.
If the pumps are at ground potential, they are more protected from other mishaps beyond a static charge build up when refueling your plane (as in an electrical fault of some kind). Have you ever been ”bitten“ when touching an electric motor with dodgy wiring? As already discussed, grounding your plane to this same point helps to mitigate a voltage buildup along the fuel line. The fact that this ground post provides other functions is not specifically applicable to plane refueling.

One point not mentioned. How heavy of a ground wire to your plane do you need? The objective is to prevent a static charge build up - for us this means high voltage, low current (just like the static charge experiment you did in high school). The low current translates to a small gauge ground wire. The ground wire selection is based on durability more than current handling.

Carl

I can only explain my understanding of the physics. I can't explain why others do what they do. I will say that I've never seen an airport fuel pump or truck without an additional retractible bonding wire, even though the hose itself has an imbedded grounding wire, nor have I have seen an airport fuel truck with a bond to ground.

Aircraft, specifically fuel tanks should be "bonded" to the fuel source during fueling. When you connect a "grounding" cable from the fuel truck, nothing is going to ground (earth) since the aircraft and fuel truck are insulated via their rubber tires. Grounding the aircraft to earth will accomplish nothing unless the fuel source is utilizing the same ground. For portable containers, ideally a metal container with a bonding wire from the container to the aircraft. I have seen plastic containers with a copper rod or lugs attached to allow bonding to the airframe.

I thought the grounding cable at the self serve pump was connected to the pump. Maybe also to a ground rod pounded down into the ground, but is it not electrically connected to the pumping apparatus? I’m going to look closer next time I get self serve fuel.

If the pumps are at ground potential, they are more protected from other mishaps beyond a static charge build up when refueling your plane (as in an electrical fault of some kind). Have you ever been ”bitten“ when touching an electric motor with dodgy wiring? As already discussed, grounding your plane to this same point helps to mitigate a voltage buildup along the fuel line. The fact that this ground post provides other functions is not specifically applicable to plane refueling.

Carl
Good point. I suspect grounding to earth at the pump (if it exists...I can't recall seeing such a thing but I'll look closer next time) is about motor wiring rather than static charge. Should be no reason (that I can think of) relative to electrical potential differences to bond the pump to earth nor the airplane to earth.

Simply stated here, look at a fuel truck, rubber tires, the truck is not grounded. it is re-fueling an aircraft, rubber tires, not grounded. Think of a battery, touch the ground terminal to the positive terminal a huge spark occurs this is because there is a large difference of potential between ground and 12 volts (difference of potential is measured in volts). Back to the truck and aircraft we place a wire (generally called a ground cable) between the truck and the aircraft, they now are at the same potential and remain that way until re-fueling is complete and the wire is removed. Because of the wire between them there is no difference of potential and one cannot be created between the two, therefore no sparks.

Last edited:
Simply stated here, look at a fuel truck, rubber tires, the truck is not grounded. it is re-fueling an aircraft, rubber tires, not grounded. Think of a battery, touch the ground terminal to the positive terminal a huge spark occurs this is because there is a large difference of potential between ground and 12 volts (difference of potential is measured in volts). Back to the truck and aircraft we place a wire (generally called a ground cable) between the truck and the aircraft, they now are at the same difference of potential and remain that way until re-fueling is complete and the wire is removed. Because of the wire between them there is no difference of potential and one cannot be created between the two, therefore no sparks.

Simply stated here, look at a fuel truck, rubber tires, the truck is not grounded. it is re-fueling an aircraft, rubber tires, not grounded. Think of a battery, touch the ground terminal to the positive terminal a huge spark occurs this is because there is a large difference of potential between ground and 12 volts (difference of potential is measured in volts). Back to the truck and aircraft we place a wire (generally called a ground cable) between the truck and the aircraft, they now are at the same potential and remain that way until re-fueling is complete and the wire is removed. Because of the wire between them there is no difference of potential and one cannot be created between the two, therefore no sparks.
Amen.

If you want to go deep in the weeds, read the FAA’s AC and the NFPA’s section on aircraft refueling.
When you’re done, please report back your findings. I say you, ‘cause I ain’t gonna read through all that.!

The entire discussion is about external grounding of the pumps, airplane, and fueling vehicles. The issue missed is static charge generated in a plastic or non-conducting hose due to the flowing fuel. I have looked for the velocities involved, but know for a fact that diesel fuel flowing through a plastic line was measured at SwRI under private contract at over 20,000 volts within 6 " of the grounded pump. This why the fuel trucks (and aircraft) use hose with a conductive inner liner, and why it is important to ground to earth as well as to the respective transferring equipment. If a sedative paper can be found it will be posted. FYI. Vinyl hoses are generators of static electricity with fuel flowing through. If the charge is not dissipated, the stream is charged.

Edit Found in on DITC.MIL - 1962: "The American Petroleum Institute recommends: that during tank truck filling, if the downspout does not reach the bottom of the tank, the liquid velocity in the pipe be limited to about I m/s (3 ft/s) until the outlet is submerged. After the outlet is covered, the flow velocity may be increased to 4.5 to 6 m/s (15 to 20 ft/s)."
https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/tr/pdf/ADA106056.pdf

BTW - I dropped a stripped copper wire (1/2" nut to keep it there) in my 5 gal container and connect it to my plane, and plane to earth/hangar ground when doing my fuel systems testing.

Last edited:
I am still somewhat confused by the answers if I compare it to my car. I don’t think my car fills up slower than my RV-8. Now I can see that for some airplanes but if I go fast on my RV-8 it splashes all over the place. Also don’t think I have more consistent contact in the car in particular as most car tanks are plastic now.

Also never heard of a static induced explosion actually happening in a small airplane tank. Considering all the various none approved rigs people use to fill their tanks makes me wonder if the danger is not greatly overstated…. .

Oliver

The aircraft and fueling device need to have the same electric potential so there is not static spark when the fuel nozzle approaches the metal fueling port. The issue is the aircraft tires are an insulator to earth ground and, heck - this guys says it better --->
The entire discussion is about external grounding of the pumps, airplane, and fueling vehicles. The issue missed is static charge generated in a plastic or non-conducting hose due to the flowing fuel. I have looked for the velocities involved, but know for a fact that diesel fuel flowing through a plastic line was measured at SwRI under private contract at over 20,000 volts within 6 " of the grounded pump. This why the fuel trucks (and aircraft) use hose with a conductive inner liner, and why it is important to ground to earth as well as to the respective transferring equipment. If a sedative paper can be found it will be posted. FYI. Vinyl hoses are generators of static electricity with fuel flowing through. If the charge is not dissipated, the stream is charged.
Started a reply, Bill's is better than my Sunday morning ramblings. Main item is to ground all items BEFORE fueling and unground AFTER fueling. Years ago after landing the Lear 35, the line dude walked around and touched the tip tank walking to his fuel truck. That spark knocked him back a few feet, told him "your grounded Kid!"

Last edited:
Rubber tires contain a considerable amount of carbon and will not electrically insulate
I beg to differ - Years ago after landing the Lear 35, the line dude walked around and touched the tip tank walking to his fuel truck. That spark knocked him back a few feet, told him "your grounded Kid!"

Hoping to be educated here....I was following you right up to this point...having trouble making the connection. Could you elaborate on why it's important to ground to earth?

I'll weigh in with my guess - grounding to earth per se is irrelevant in this scenario; bonding of the container the fuel is leaving to the container it is entering, and of all tubing connecting the two, is all that matters.

The Venn diagram may include scenarios where either the donor or recipient tank is in direct earth contact, in which case grounding is inherent in the bonding, and therefore redundant/irrelevant. Since you never know when contact of a fuel container with ground might be made or broken during fuel transfer, it could be wise to include an earth ground somewhere in the bonding system - but, since any sparks we are worried about must occur in the immediate vicinity of the RV wing tank filler neck where the stoich vapors are, I'm back to thinking an earth ground of the tank-to-tank bond wiring is irrelevant.

When I get to feeling a little frisky again, I plan to take my digital multimeter and get some random conductivity readings on ol' Mister Funnel and on carbon-bearing aircraft and automaotive tires to see if they add anything meaningful to the discussion.

Note that most of this discussion is focused on ensuring that voltage potential between the fill nozzle and the plane are minimized but there is another potential spark and fire risk that is seen occasionally during automobile refueling with automatic gas station nozzles. This occurs when the person fueling steps away from the pump while it's fueling, then creates a spark when they touch the nozzle again to remove it from the tank. This video is frequently shown in ESD awareness training videos:

This is something to be aware of, particularly if you are draining a tank into a fuel container, step away, then come back and touch the container! If the container is "bonded" to the aircraft, be sure to touch the aircraft in an area away from the fuel vapors before touching the fuel container!

Skylor

Coming back to the OP's need to transfer fuel... If anybody is looking for an inexpensive way of doing it, this (or a very close relative) is what I've been using for years.

I use several different versions of red 5-gallon plastic jerry cans. A towel goes on the wing over the spart, outboard of the filler port. The jerry can is placed onto the towel with its filler port pointing toward the wingtip. This makes the inboard end of the jerry can the low point, thanks to wing dihedral. The pump is inserted into the jerry can and its nozzle is inserted into the aircraft tank while keeping the nozzle touching the aircraft tank's filler neck. Switch on the pump and let it do its thing.

I'm constantly surprised how well this work. Yes, the pump is doing some of the work and siphon effect is doing some of the work. A pair of D-cell batteries lasts a long time (like a year's worth of flying!).

When the jerry can is empty or I've transferred as much fuel as I wish, the pump is turned off and removed from the jerry can, allowing any remaining fuel to drain downhill into both the aircraft and the jerry can.

This is about as simple and cheap a pumping system as one can get, and, in my experience, it has proven to be very effective.

I have bailed from posting, but that reminded me of how blessed I am.
Back in the early 1980s my career started as a school bus driver. I worked mid days as a tire mechanic. One day I was at the pumps for some reason. A young woman driver was fueling with a cigarette. Unleaded. I told her to put it out. She gave me attitude and showed me she could flick her Bic near the fuel tank, no problem. Yep, it ignited. Of course, she took off running. I grabbed the fire extinguisher and hosed it. Thankfully the tank was full. 60 gallons. Very little vapor to burn. I still remember how pissed I was she wasn't fired. No one said anything. It could have turned out really bad. Taught me a valuable lesson.
I'm not posting here anymore, but needless to say, I am following this thread very close as my fuel testing phase is right around the corner. I'll go back to the sidelines now. Be well everyone.

Coming back to the OP's need to transfer fuel... If anybody is looking for an inexpensive way of doing it, this (or a very close relative) is what I've been using for years.

I'm constantly surprised how well this work. Yes, the pump is doing some of the work and siphon effect is doing some of the work. A pair of D-cell batteries lasts a long time (like a year's worth of flying!).

When the jerry can is empty or I've transferred as much fuel as I wish, the pump is turned off and removed from the jerry can, allowing any remaining fuel to drain downhill into both the aircraft and the jerry can.

This is about as simple and cheap a pumping system as one can get, and, in my experience, it has proven to be very effective.
I have a few of those and I agree, they work surprisingly well. I use them for the diesel rolling stock, another one for mowers, and have one in the hangar.

I'll weigh in with my guess - grounding to earth per se is irrelevant in this scenario; bonding of the container the fuel is leaving to the container it is entering, and of all tubing connecting the two, is all that matters.

The Venn diagram may include scenarios where either the donor or recipient tank is in direct earth contact, in which case grounding is inherent in the bonding, and therefore redundant/irrelevant. Since you never know when contact of a fuel container with ground might be made or broken during fuel transfer, it could be wise to include an earth ground somewhere in the bonding system - but, since any sparks we are worried about must occur in the immediate vicinity of the RV wing tank filler neck where the stoich vapors are, I'm back to thinking an earth ground of the tank-to-tank bond wiring is irrelevant.

When I get to feeling a little frisky again, I plan to take my digital multimeter and get some random conductivity readings on ol' Mister Funnel and on carbon-bearing aircraft and automaotive tires to see if they add anything meaningful to the discussion.
Grounding to the earth could have a significant impact if the fueler approaches an open fuel tank while being grounded to earth but not the plane. When I was in a military flying club we were required to ground the truck to the earth, the plane to the earth, and the plane to the truck or pump when refueling. Those were our instructions and we followed them. I suspect that this procedure eliminates almost all risk. We also stopped fueling when lightning approached to a specified distance I believe, but my memory escapes me on the distance. Fuel vapors are dangerous critters. The danger is NOT overrated. I have not seen a plane fire from refueling but I did see a yacht flash fire due to improper fueling procedures. It WILL make a believer out of you when you see how far and fast that fuel vapor fire flame front propagates and the energy released. On the occasion of the yacht fire, I saw a person who could not swim jump overboard with the assistance of the shock wave (he was rescued). It was something I will never forget.

Our truck has a drag chain, hence it is grounded.
All I am aware of an instance in Idaho where a woman blew up her mini van with a
Static shock while refueling
It does happen
Caution while handling fuel is critical

There’s a lot of fear attached to this concept. Hydrocarbon products are being transferred world wide every second of the day, if the boogeyman was that scary there’d be no one left on the planet😂 I’ve been transferInv petrol in ne form or another for like ever in less than ‘ideal’ ways and I’m still here!😂

There’s a lot of fear attached to this concept. Hydrocarbon products are being transferred world wide every second of the day, if the boogeyman was that scary there’d be no one left on the planet😂 I’ve been transferInv petrol in ne form or another for like ever in less than ‘ideal’ ways and I’m still here!😂
I've done many dangerous things in my life and I'm still here, but I strongly recommend that people not repeat the dangerous things I've done.

Back