What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many of you were over 40 before you received your PPL?

At age 29 I started on July 5th. In November I purchased a C-150 and received my ticket on Feb. 10 of the following year.

Two years later I purchased a Piper Warrior................ now I have a 6A and love it!!

Its Never too Late

I retired at 60 after 25 years at Hewlett-Packard and then started and received my PPL one year later. I'm almost 68 and also a cancer survivor for the last 6 years. The only snag was the 4 month process to get my medical approved. I love flying and have no plans to stop.

Started for my PPL in '80 when I was 24 and had to stop after 7 hours. Returned to finish in mid September of '98 and by mid December of '98 (40.1 total hours) at 42 years.

An 18 year separation - I barely survived.

mid-30's on a "red pill or blue pill" decision

I did it before 40 but was never the "airport rat" or kid always staring at planes. As a matter of fact, I was never really much interested in airplanes. However, a series of unexpected opportunities turned into a 3+ month window in my career where I could "go do something interesting". This was definitely a "once in a lifetime opportunities". So I set out to volunteer on a marine mammal research vessel. I had computer and data analysis skills, boat skills, and was a certified diver so I figured I'd be a good "free" resource. I sent out letters. Just about then, a friend of a fried of a friend said" why don't you go to flight school? 3 months is a perfect window." So I sent out those letters too.

... fast forward ...

I made the decision, "which ever acceptance letter acceptable letter arrives first is the one I will take". Flight school won. 4 months later is was PPL + IR and a handful of endorsements (complex, high performance, tailwheel, and a block of basic aerobatics). It was the aerobatics in a super decathlon that did it. That's where I got my RV grin! I still grin, just thinking about it ... makes people wonder what I'm thinking about :)

Last edited:
Started at age 16 but had to quit because of lack of funds. Started again at 30 but quit because of personality clash with instructor. Started again at 42 and as they say the third time was a charm. My CFI was a female retired high school principle. Not only was she a very knowledgeable pilot but an excellent educator. I'm 59 now.

Start Now.

Start Now!!

My regret in Aviation is that I did not get in earler. PPL at 38 years. 64 now.
I have over 4000 hours and have owned several planes. 4 RVs
I do not think building to learn to fly is a good idea. It takes too long to build. Get a plane first, Fly Now.

I liked the coment that "if your circumstances do not allow you to do what you want, change your circumstances". Good one.

The people in aviation are THE true treasures you will find. Owning and airplane gets you in the club, and to the fly-ins. Get one.

Last edited:
I like that Jay, about your "airplane getting you in the club" and what a fine club it is!! Ive seen people of all ages get in to flying, one should never be hampered by there age. JUST DO IT!!:)

Add me to the over 40 club - I like Jay's idea but some of us can't afford to do both at the same time. So for now I'm building. The only flying I get is when I can bum rides. I hope to have it completed before I turn 60 (currently 56) but that is contingent on finances as well. When the plane moves to the airport I will get current again, fly some transition and then I'll see you at the flyins (except OSH which I drive to currently).

I solo'd when I was 21. I paid for about 10 hours of flight time by washing and fueling planes for the local FBO in exchange for rental/instructor. But I wasn't getting any $$$ for my work, and there were too many girls who I hadn't dated yet, so I found a "real" job.

Fast forward to 35 years old. After building/flying RC planes for about a dozen years, I got to the point where I wasn't crashing them enough anymore. That's when I realized that I enjoyed building as much as I enjoyed flying. So I decided to build an experimental airplane. Four years later, my plane (a Fisher Dakota Hawk) was almost ready to fly, so I went back to the airport to finish my PPL at age 39.

Flew the Dakota Hawk for seven years, and got the building bug again - hence my RV-7.

Although I may wish that I had started earlier, the funds just weren't there when I was younger. Live life to the fullest, but don't break the bank to do it!

I used to hang around Bear Creek Airport south of Atlanta (now known as Tara Field, 4A7) quite a bit. At the time there was a guy there who was 80 and was taking primary flight instruction. I'd like to think that I'm still going to be topside at that age, flying or not.

It's never too late!

I won't go into the reasons (excuses) for all of the delays, but I developed a strong interest in flying at about age 16. I soloed at age 67, and am determined to finish my "3 hours" check ride prep and get the ticket before my 73rd birthday which happens in about two months. You can do it reguardless of age.

Yes

I have done lots of training since turning 40. I logged several hours in my twenties, but was too broke to get it done. Been trying to make up for it ever since:rolleyes:
Private at 42
Instrument at 44
Comercial at 45
CFI at 48
CFII at 50

Did it early, but still learning...

PPL @19
CML @20
MEL @20
INST @20
CFI @20
ATP @39

But none of this really matters, like the ad says, "Just Do It!"

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

What John just said about learning...

Born 1936 Do the math, I don't mind...
PPL 1957 and bought PA-12 $1725
US Army photographer flying back seat in Birdog 1959
Aerial Photo business 1961
Long hiatus from aviation 1964~1971 raising kids.
1971 bought C150, then C172
1990 Saw writeups about local homebuilder guy, R.VanGrunsven
2001 Saw RV doing a roll over golf course "Gotta have one!"...
RV-6a 1st flight Mar 2007

Pretty sure I would quit flying if I couldn't have an RV...

Always wanted to fly since jumpers landed on my shoveled hockey pond in NH when I was 13.
Completed Ground school @ 20.
Purchasing Manager for an aviation lighting manufacturer @ 40
Software developer for Sandia National Labs NDI aviation @ 43
Soloed @ 46
Bought plane @ 48
PPL @ 49
First Flight on my RV @ 54
The journey continues...

Last edited:

PPL at 48, after to many one way flights to count (sky diving). Flying always looked interesting and finally decided to go for it. Couldn't be happier!

Oh we are so unfortunate...

The vast majority of people never get to fly even, let alone become a pilot. I took my first lesson at 44 and got my "license" (I just love these folks that get all prissy about calling it a certificate) at 45. I'm now 74 and have over 5,000 hours of flight time. Some things are more important that satisfying a childish desire and if the opportunity never comes, so what? In the grand scheme of things it is not a big deal like good health, family, friends and participating in something special. I liked being a part of a team working on something that had never been done before. Would I have given up any of those things so I could do something whimsical like learning to fly - NO! When it was time and I had achieved my education and position in the work place, then it not only was satisfying, it gave me an extra dimension of depth to build on what I had accomplished up to that point. When I built the RV-6A it added even more personal worth on the job. I think if you do all of this fluff stuff too early, you take yourself off of the work train and slide through life with your hand out like things are owed to you.

Get the important stuff done first.

Bob Axsom

Got the PPL at 29, had big ambitions of a commercial pilot, got 200 Hrs and 90% done with instrument training. Had a family and everything came to a screeching halt. At 46 I started the 7 and I will get back in the air!

I'm about to turn 30. I started training for my PPL when I was 25. At the time I was working at a low-wage job and living with my parents. Halfway through I got frustrated with the low-wage job and quit. Since I was living at home, I had saved enough money to finish my PPL, so I continued my flight training while I was looking for a new job. A new job didn't come along, and I needed something that paid enough to support my new "habit", so I went back to school to get my A&P. I barely managed to afford to finish my PPL in 2007 at age 26, with full knowledge that I would have to quit flying. So I did, and my Private Pilot checkride was the last time I flew as pilot-in-command.

I continued with school and got an entry-level mechanic job. Unfortunately, it only lasted four months. Then along came the long-distance girlfriend which quickly turned to a serious relationship. So I finished school while dating her. We married right after I finished school and moved in with her parents, but I had to go back to school to finish up FAA requirements and test for my A&P. I got my A&P in 2009 and started job hunting again in the middle of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. It took a year to land a job, but I got lucky and make good money. We spent eight months in an apartment, then bought our first house.

Now, four years after I got my ticket, I'd like to continue. Buying a production airplane isn't even an option. It's too expensive. I'm torn between going out and renting again, or building my own airplane. Renting means I get to fly now, while building means I get an awesome airplane, but mostly likely won't fly much at all while I'm building. If it takes 5 years to build my airplane, then I'll be 35 before I get to actually spend much time in the cockpit.

So, if you've read this far, I'm glad I got my license in my 20s, but I totally understand why others choose to wait or are forced to wait until much later. It's just too dang expensive, and other things end up taking priority and keep pushing those dreams to the back burner. It can be depressing, but just don't give up hope and keep inching toward your goals.

Back