What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Harold McMurran - D-Day Vet and Moontown A&P

Dan Langhout

Well Known Member
Sad to report that Harold McMurran, a fixture at Moontown Airport (3M5) for many years passed away on Christmas Day at age 98. To us "younger" folks, it seemed like Harold had been around running the maintenance shop at Moontown forever. Harold was an A&P/IA and had a steady stream of aircraft in and out of his shop including at least one RV condition inspection that I know of. As recently as this last year, He was still turning wrenches on planes that came in. He had a goal to still be a working A&P at age 100!

But besides all that, Harold was a bit of a celebrity around here in that he was both a D-Day and Battle of the Bulge veteran. A few years ago, the son of a Moontown pilot sat down with Harold and interviewed him for a short video.
Well worth your time to watch.

https://vimeo.com/97523416

R.I.P. Harold

Last edited:
Thanks, Dan. I am saddened to hear this. Harold did the annuals on my 172 for many years. He was an excellent A&P/IA and was a true gentleman. He will be missed.
I am blessed to have known him.

Last edited:
Lost my Dad two years ago. Another greatest generation. Never complained about having to go off to war. Was proud to serve his country. Amazing people.
God I miss him

Bob Grigsby
Los Altos, Ca

Back