What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTX 327 Tray

JimP

For lack of a better place to post this...

For those that know the ins and outs of avionics, I have a good question. Last week I posted a question about my GTX 327 to Matronics, as the transponder wouldn?t slide completely into the tray and lock. The lower edge of the tray was in contact with the aft lower face of the unit. Along the back lower face of the bezel, there appears to be two slots where the tray tongs would slide in. That?s fine and that?s what it looks like in the GTX 327 install manual.

The manual calls out Garmin p/n 115-00285-00 as referenced in the install manual (figure B2). The problem is that I have p/n 115-00431-00 (as stamped on the tray) and doesn?t look like the referenced illustration. Are these trays supposed to be interchangable? I did find a reference to that p/n on the web through Avionics Now which indicated that the 004341 unit was good for 320A/ 327, but even the tray they show does not look like what I have.

This link http://adap.com/rv7/images/P3110032.JPG (lower right in the pic) shows the bottom of my tray and seems to be a bit different than the install manual.

Thanks,

Jim

I Have a GTX327 and the 115-00431-00 tray and it fits perfectly. You do need a notch about .050-.060 deep in the panel cutout to allow the locking cam to slide through.

Have you

got one of your connectors at the back of the tray upside down?

I belive this will give you exactly what you describe as the board is keyed to prevent it sliding all the way back

Frank

Tray

Nope, connectors haven't even been tried yet. Just ensuring that the unit fits correctly in the tray.

Jim

Picture is worth about 100 words...

I figured a picture is worth a couple words here....

327%20(1)%20.jpg

Above is the drawing from the install manual. Note the lower edge of the tray as circled. This is part number115-00285-00. See the two tongs, they should slide into the aft lower face of the transponder (at least per the drawing and the install manual). Yup, makes sense.

OK, now look a this below.

327%20(2).jpg

Note the difference from the top drawing. This pic shows the supplied unit bottom side and the distinct differences in the area where the locking cam should engage. The whole lower edge protrudes, and there are no tongs to engage the unit. Per the stamp on the tray, I have 115-00431-00. As it is, it prevents the unit from sliding fully back in the tray by about 3/32".

Jim
In Garmin Pergatory! :confused:

Hi Jim,

Those acutally are NOT two "tongs" on the rack....that's just an isometric view of that area of the rack which reflects that area is raised a bit.

Your tray is the correct number, and per your pic is mfgrd exactly as it should be. I just went and looked at over 6 of them in the shop here and they are exactly the same way....except the txpdr fits fine.....

So....it's probably not that. That means it's probably the backplate of the connector or the panel or somethine like that.

I don't for sure know what, but it's most likely not the tray, since it looks exactly like it should...

Cheers,
Stein.

Hi Jim,

As far as I can see from your photos - you have the right tray (well it is identical to mine :) ) In your photo the 'upper' surface with the cutout is the lower side of the mounting tray. The 'latch' in the actual 327 can spin up or down on the 3/32" allen key. Might be worth making sure any rear panel isn't screwed in upside down.

HTH,

Carl

Jim are you testing this with the back plate that holds the connectors in place? If not, you should try it out.. you'll see that it doesn't slide as deep once the plate is in.. I have the same tray and no problems fitting the transponder in.

Back