What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN Installation - How Difficult?

bigmo

I'm New Here
Tecnam S-LSA owner here - but LOVE using VAF as a resource!

Gauging folks here that do this for a living - or have experience installing a Garmin GTN in an "all Garmin" panel. My S-LSA Tecnam is all Garmin (twin G3X Touch, Garmin autopilot, com, nav, audio panel, etc.). I have the legal docs I need from the manufacturer for the installation, which can be performed in total by an A&P. My A&P, a great guy, is more than willing to give it a shot - but he's not done one before. I'm handy, technically a EE - but not by trade. I like a challenge.

While doing the homework, the Garmin crew at G3Xpert have been literally AMAZING. They sent me all the proper install docs for the G3X Touch (which has the install for the GAD29 interface), the GPS175 install guide, and all the logical wiring diagrams. Aside from building the pinouts with the Garmin connector kits, it's all "plug and play" according to Garmin.

Big unknowns for me right now are the actual panel cutting - ie do we need to remove EVERYTHING from the panel and then reinstall? With a shop vac and several hands, can we drill radius points and cut the panel and leave it in place? I do have a pretty big area to work with.

I have only one real install quote from a trusted shop. Frankly, normal avionics shops either a) don't like small jobs, b) are backed up for 12-18 months, or c) quote a literal crazy amount. Like CRAZY.

My one real quote is $2500 for the install. Not terrible. The downside is that it's a 2.5 hour flight away, a week leaving the plane, and two commercial flights for me to get back home. So really more like $2800-2900 plus the hassle of a lost day on both ends.

I have yet to reach out to Midwest Panel Builders. I was going to see if they'd quote me a price to build all the connectors so I have "pro" work - then it REALLY is plug & play (besides the physical panel stuff).

FWIW, the install is a single Garmin GPS175 connected to the GAD29 ARINC interface, then to the G3X Touch.

Thoughts? Crazy? Smart? A little of both?

PS - I'd LOVE any recs of traveling/mobile, or independent side-hustle guys anywhere in the midwest. I was hoping to find an avionics tech that does night/weekend work. My A&P can observe and sign off. But I’m just not finding folks.

Tecnam S-LSA owner here - but LOVE using VAF as a resource!

Gauging folks here that do this for a living - or have experience installing a Garmin GTN in an "all Garmin" panel. My S-LSA Tecnam is all Garmin (twin G3X Touch, Garmin autopilot, com, nav, audio panel, etc.). I have the legal docs I need from the manufacturer for the installation, which can be performed in total by an A&P. My A&P, a great guy, is more than willing to give it a shot - but he's not done one before. I'm handy, technically a EE - but not by trade. I like a challenge.

While doing the homework, the Garmin crew at G3Xpert have been literally AMAZING. They sent me all the proper install docs for the G3X Touch (which has the install for the GAD29 interface), the GPS175 install guide, and all the logical wiring diagrams. Aside from building the pinouts with the Garmin connector kits, it's all "plug and play" according to Garmin.

Big unknowns for me right now are the actual panel cutting - ie do we need to remove EVERYTHING from the panel and then reinstall? With a shop vac and several hands, can we drill radius points and cut the panel and leave it in place? I do have a pretty big area to work with.

I just put in a Garmin 375, I wouldn't say that it is very difficult. You do definitely need the installation manual, good that you have it. Cutting the panel to install the tray depends on the airplane, but isn't hard. I used a cut-off wheel, dremel, and files. Right angle drill for the mounting screws. You'll also need a GPS antenna and place to mount it, that will need a doubler and RG400 coax. Depending on where it is going, you may or may not need to remove things from the panel for access. Good luck!

There are people who can cut your panel with CNC routers. You can design it or they can. I wired up all my avionics if you are a double E this will be simple for you. The panel is the easy part the wiring is the harder part but I find it fun.

The install manual for all Garmin products is available through them or whatever source you bought your avionics from like ACS. The manual is very detailed, enough for a novice to wire. It even goes into extreme detail on exactly how to wire shielded twisted pairs for the CANBUS and RS232 in a chapter on each installation manual.

If you do it yourself you save money and the sky is the limit on how nice you want those bundles of wires looking behind the panel!

Back