What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN-750 in Standard-Sized RV-7 Slider Panel

AndyWW

Well Known Member
I'm at the planning stage for my RV-7 Slider panel. Looking at G3X fully IFR setup with G5 backup. I'm wondering if anyone has managed to fit a GTN-750 into an RV-7 Slider without using an extended height panel? If I went with a remote audio panel (controllable I believe from either the GDU or the Navigator), remote second comm and remote transponder, would I have room for a GMC-507 A/P controller above a GTN-750 in the centre? Would any modifications to ribs be required (I believe that I'll need to cut a hole in the sub-panel for the 750)? To free up panel space I am planning to use fuses for many circuits rather than breakers. Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.

I'm at the planning stage for my RV-7 Slider panel. Looking at G3X fully IFR setup with G5 backup. I'm wondering if anyone has managed to fit a GTN-750 into an RV-7 Slider without using an extended height panel? If I went with a remote audio panel (controllable I believe from either the GDU or the Navigator), remote second comm and remote transponder, would I have room for a GMC-507 A/P controller above a GTN-750 in the centre? Would any modifications to ribs be required (I believe that I'll need to cut a hole in the sub-panel for the 750)? To free up panel space I am planning to use fuses for many circuits rather than breakers. Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.

You're going to need to measure this out, but offhand I'm going to say yes it will fit. The tray on a 750 is basically the same height as the screen at the front, but it's only that tall for the thickness of the screen then it shrinks down to maybe only around 3 inches tall. As far as the mode controller, it's only a couple of inches deep and doesn't even use a tray.

You're going to have to cut a hole in the sub panel no matter what to accommodate the GPS tray

If you look at my panel below, the mode controller is located is as high as you can get it in the center stack without having to cut into that center rib. I've got an audio panel and a GTN650 below it, plus the remote transponder is sitting laterally on a tray behind those toggle switches.,

Attachments

• IMG_6957.jpeg
    IMG_6957.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
You're going to need to measure this out, but offhand I'm going to say yes it will fit. The tray on a 750 is basically the same height as the screen at the front, but it's only that tall for the thickness of the screen then it shrinks down to maybe only around 3 inches tall. As far as the mode controller, it's only a couple of inches deep and doesn't even use a tray.

You're going to have to cut a hole in the sub panel no matter what to accommodate the GPS tray

If you look at my panel below, the mode controller is located is as high as you can get it in the center stack without having to cut into that center rib. I've got an audio panel and a GTN650 below it, plus the remote transponder is sitting laterally on a tray behind those toggle switches.,

Thank you Terry - very useful information as usual! I have realised there is a problem with my plan which is that I don't think Garmin makes a remote radio that can do 8.33 kHz spacing for use in Europe. I heard a rumour at from an avionics guy at a UK fly-in that they may be going to bring out a remote nav-com soon which could do 8.33 as well as 25 kHz. Has anyone heard anything about this in the US?

Back