What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Flap Position Sensing

Gsuit

Well Known Member
Can anyone give me some guidance on how they send flap position info to the GRT EFIS I?

Anyone do it without the expensive ($200+) Van's, Ray Allen, or FPS units?

I don't have a need to position the flaps, per se, just for the EFIS to display the position as the flaps move.

My flap position indicator works great. Look out the window. They are right there and easy to see.

Ray Allen

All you need is the Ray Allen position sensor (about $33). Very easy to hook up to GRT to display your flap position. Mount the sensor on the vertical channel. Then get an adel clamp to fit over the flap weldment and hook it up to the position sensor. The arm will move giving a corresponding voltage change for the GRT EFIS.

Will cost you $35 bucks at most. Probably the cheapest next to looking out the window.

Thought I had a picture on my website but I guess I don't. You'll see it on some other sites, though.

Captain Avgas said:
You obviously don't fly at night. :)

I do...and haven't had any trouble reading my visual flap indicator! There's always a little bit of light, and that's all it takes.... ;)

Of course, mostly, I just use "flaps up" or "flaps all the way down", so even if I couldn't see them, 7 seconds is full down. (My Yanke took 6)

I'm an instrumentation geek

Ironflight said:
I do...and haven't had any trouble reading my visual flap indicator! There's always a little bit of light, and that's all it takes.... ;)

Of course, mostly, I just use "flaps up" or "flaps all the way down", so even if I couldn't see them, 7 seconds is full down. (My Yanke took 6)

and I want to log everything. Time to deploy and recover flaps included.
I don't want to add any weight. Input on the GRT? I hope so.

rv8eh said:
and I want to log everything. Time to deploy and recover flaps included.
I don't want to add any weight. Input on the GRT? I hope so.

Yeah, but you have to add the weight of the sensor.....I know a numbe of people have done this, and it works fine - I don't recall any posts on the GRT Yahoo group where folks didn't get it to work.

Paul

Back