What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS disruption during solar storm

coloflyer

It seems that during the solar storm over the week, a fair number of farmers experienced problems planting while using GPS. Anyone here notice something wonky while flying?

Agriculture.com article

Still building our RV and haven't had a need for precision ag yet here on the homestead so no impacts but talking to my cousins, they are using RTK in their GPS receivers to get to 1cm accuracy.

It seems that during the solar storm over the week, a fair number of farmers experienced problems planting while using GPS. Anyone here notice something wonky while flying?

Agriculture.com article

Still building our RV and haven't had a need for precision ag yet here on the homestead so no impacts but talking to my cousins, they are using RTK in their GPS receivers to get to 1cm accuracy.
Flew west coast XC Saturday, and Tahoe Sunday. No disruptions for me. Friend flew from Seattle to Tahoe area Sunday. Nothing amiss there either.

No GPS outage, but I did lose ADS traffic over central Ca at 13.5K on saturday. Had it, as usual, on Monday.

I was curious to see if I had any effects when I flew down to SOCAL on Friday and back on Saturday morning. Alas - nothing but beautiful weather and accurate GPS guidance all the way….

GPS at rtk level of accuracy will cause multiple issues when all the systems tied to it are expected to be sub-inch all the time. If the correction signal jumps around a few inches it is a problem and if it jumps a few feet, it’s a big problem.
I wouldn’t think a shift of a few feet would even be noticeable when flying or driving
with gps.

I lost WAAS on an approach into MYF last Friday. Heard multiple other planes report the same, assuming it's solar storm related.

Hmm... I wonder if that had anything to do with my recent G3X "miscompare" error that's never happened before.

Back