What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS antenna location

This topic has been covered in many threads and posts.

My previous RV-8 has a Garmin GPS antenna on the turtledeck under the canopy. Works well, as you would expect.

i-HRF2XJr-L.jpg

My current RV-8 has the Dynon SV-GPS-2020 GPS ANTENNA/RECEIVER MODULE mounted under the cowl. It has good reception and have not had an issue. Don't mount it too close to the firewall to avoid blocking issues.

i-znJ84H3-M.jpg

Screenshot of my typical GPS fix status. The Dynon manual explains acceptable and unacceptable reception results.

i-WjFNHsN-L.jpg

Last edited:
The GTN 650 GPS antenna just aft of the rear seat, under the canopy (like RV8JD).

The Dynon antenna/receiver puck on top of the glare shield covered with some dark cloth - as was done on all three builds.

Carl
20210729-135426.jpg

Levelling the Antenna?

"My previous RV-8 has a Garmin GPS antenna on the turtledeck under the canopy. Works well, as you would expect."

I have planned my Garmin IFR GPS antenna in the same spot (although on the other side of the canopy rail. The skin is curved there. Did you level the antenna or provide some support under the edges to account for the sloped skin or did you find it was alright as is?

"My previous RV-8 has a Garmin GPS antenna on the turtledeck under the canopy. Works well, as you would expect."

I have planned my Garmin IFR GPS antenna in the same spot (although on the other side of the canopy rail. The skin is curved there. Did you level the antenna or provide some support under the edges to account for the sloped skin or did you find it was alright as is?

In my case, just a thick gasket was used. However Paul Dye wrote this article in KitPlanes discussing how he mounted a GPS antenna on the curve of the RV-8 turtledeck:

Last edited:
Back