What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GSA 28 service extension

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
FYI regarding exchange.
I called for RMA. Was warned that the program was good for 5 years BUT the new warranty is only good for six months. So, if warranty is important to you and you are still building, this suggests you will have to remove them after installed to exchange.

Also, exchange CHARGE is vague in the RMA they send by email. Anyone with more detail, please share.

Exchanges will be handled similar to all other warranty exchanges. Your CC will be charged for the Mod 1 GSA28 units being sent to you, and will be fully refunded when we receive your returned non-Mod GSA units on the RMA.

As noted - this program runs 5 years from the date of the service bulletin release. Full details of the service bulletin can be found here.

A few practical points to consider:

- We are remanufacturing returned units to include the Mod 1 status changes. If you return a servo to us that is new in box, uninstalled - you will receive a NIB (new in box) servo in exchange. If the unit has been installed, you will receive an NOH unit (newly overhauled).
- Warranty on these NOH servos are 6 months. If your current factory warranty is longer than that, it is most practical to utilize the full warranty period before making the exchange.
- If your current affected servos are out of warranty, yet fully functional - consider this a 5 year warranty extension with certain replacement at some point in the future, even if the servos remain fully functional.
- If you prefer to replace your servos out of caution, you may do so at any time within the 5 year period.

We chose a 5 year period to provide our customers the opportunity to utilize their current warranty periods (if still applicable), the most service life out of their current non-Mod status servos, and greatest flexibility to schedule the exchanges around scheduled downtime/maintenance events.

B/R,

Brad

Last edited:
Define installed ?

Thanks for the response expert. My servos are used to facilitate mounting hardware consideration. They are never powered up. What category are they in and how do I indicate that at submission for replacement ?

If the servos have been physically mounted (powered or not), they are no longer NIB. If this is the case, it would be reasonable to keep the units through their full warranty period, and even placed into service for the life of the SB before processing the exchange.

Either way, rest assured that you will have the option to replace the servos with new MOD units at no charge. Many of these non-Mod servos are flawlessly operating in the field today with no issues whatsoever. However, it is now known that these units do not meet Garmin's long-term quality standards, which prompted the Service Life Extension program.

Turn Around?

If the servos have been physically mounted (powered or not), they are no longer NIB. If this is the case, it would be reasonable to keep the units through their full warranty period, and even placed into service for the life of the SB before processing the exchange.

Either way, rest assured that you will have the option to replace the servos with new MOD units at no charge. Many of these non-Mod servos are flawlessly operating in the field today with no issues whatsoever. However, it is now known that these units do not meet Garmin's long-term quality standards, which prompted the Service Life Extension program.

What is the turn around time on getting the servo's replaced? :confused::confused:

Turn around

“Exchanges will be handled similar to all other warranty exchanges. Your CC will be charged for the Mod 1 GSA28 units being sent to you, and will be fully refunded when we receive your returned non-Mod GSA units on the RMA.”

If Garmin handles this the same way they handled the G5 warranty exchanges you will have your servo before removing the bad servo. It seems Garmin is saying this will be handled the same way. All 3 of mine are effected but I see no reason to start the clock on the warranty since I have 5 years to return them.

Anyone know if there are early signs of imminent failure ?

Turnaround Time and Credit Card Deposit Amount GSA28's

What is the turn around time on getting the servo's replaced? :confused::confused:

FYI. I called G3expert staff and started the exchange on 5/11. Garmin processed and shipped out updated GSA28's via FedEx same day, Olathe KS to western Colo.

Received the updated servos on 5/13, 48 hrs later.

2 GSA28's replaced. Credit card charge for deposit $1842.45 total, included FedEx to me.

Will install and FedEx old GSA28's back in next day or two for refund of credit card deposit, but expect that I will pay for return shipping .

Exceptional service from G3expert staff.

YMMV

Thanks

FYI. I called G3expert staff and started the exchange on 5/11. Garmin processed and shipped out updated GSA28's via FedEx same day, Olathe KS to western Colo.

Received the updated servos on 5/13, 48 hrs later.

2 GSA28's replaced. Credit card charge for deposit $1842.45 total, included FedEx to me.

Will install and FedEx old GSA28's back in next day or two for refund of credit card deposit, but expect that I will pay for return shipping .

Exceptional service from G3expert staff.

YMMV

Thanks JB:)

Hi, @g3xpert ,

Could you please check if servo serial number 6N7001064 is potentially affected by this service bulletin? I am having nightmares trying to make it work on my plane...

Thanks!

I know 2 builders who returned their servos (They were not working correctly) only to find out it was not the servo. Now they have a 6-month warranty in place of the wait and see 5 year.

I have these servos in an RV7 and a Cessna 185. In the certified airplane, Garmin pays the labor. In the experimental, they only cover the parts. When I called and asked about it, they said, “In the experimental, it’s likely the owner built it and installed the autopilot, so they should be able to do the exchange.”

Well, until I went looking for them, I didn’t even know where the servos were. And it took some time to figure out that the installation instructions are buried deep in the 979-page G3X manual. The assumption that the current owner knows anything about what’s under the skin is ridiculous. I’ve got better things to do but, with a mechanic looking over my shoulder, I’ll get it done.

I have these servos in an RV7 and a Cessna 185. In the certified airplane, Garmin pays the labor. In the experimental, they only cover the parts. When I called and asked about it, they said, “In the experimental, it’s likely the owner built it and installed the autopilot, so they should be able to do the exchange.”

Well, until I went looking for them, I didn’t even know where the servos were. And it took some time to figure out that the installation instructions are buried deep in the 979-page G3X manual. The assumption that the current owner knows anything about what’s under the skin is ridiculous. I’ve got better things to do but, with a mechanic looking over my shoulder, I’ll get it done.
I didn’t install the originals, but I did do the second set. This will be my third set of Garmin servos. The one in the wing is kind of a pain, but doable. Given the rate at which I go through these things, perhaps I’ll Install a larger access panel this time. 😃

One of the big advantages to EAB that people always flap their lips about is how much better EAB is than "spam cans" because you aren't getting raked over the coals with parts markups and A&P's who charge way too much (conveniently forgetting that it's often less than the car dealership flat rate). I'm not saying that you're that person, but it does seem like perhaps this is a case wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

I know 2 builders who returned their servos (They were not working correctly) only to find out it was not the servo. Now they have a 6-month warranty in place of the wait and see 5 year.
good point. maybe it is a good idea to wait until closer to the end of the 5 year window.

I can see a 2023 date on this Service Bulletin, but no month. When is the expiration date of this SB 5-year warranty?
Johan

One of the big advantages to EAB that people always flap their lips about is how much better EAB is than "spam cans" because you aren't getting raked over the coals with parts markups and A&P's who charge way too much (conveniently forgetting that it's often less than the car dealership flat rate). I'm not saying that you're that person, but it does seem like perhaps this is a case wanting to have your cake and eat it too.
I don't follow.

You own an E/AB airplane. You need to know what's under the skin. That's part of the deal you bought when you acquired the airplane.

- mark

I don't follow.
What I mean is; On an EAB, with the exception of needing an A&P or repairman certificate to sign off the condition inspection, the owner (or really anybody) can work on it. People love this and often site it as a reason to own an EAB vs. a pt.23 certified airplane. I get it. Thats a great benefit.

But you have to understand that because of that, Garmin isn't going to fork over a shop rate on an EAB because 9 time out of 10 the owner would pocket the cash and do the job themselves. It's not a ridiculous assumption that the current owner knows what's under the skin of their airplane. I'd call it a pretty fair assumption of how the majority of the EAB world works.

What I mean is; On an EAB, with the exception of needing an A&P or repairman certificate to sign off the condition inspection, the owner (or really anybody) can work on it. People love this and often site it as a reason to own an EAB vs. a pt.23 certified airplane. I get it. Thats a great benefit.

But you have to understand that because of that, Garmin isn't going to fork over a shop rate on an EAB because 9 time out of 10 the owner would pocket the cash and do the job themselves. It's not a ridiculous assumption that the current owner knows what's under the skin of their airplane. I'd call it a pretty fair assumption of how the majority of the EAB world works.
Ok. I see what you’re saying. However, Garmin is making me whole on the certificated airplane. On the experimental, they’re making me whole minus the value of my work. It isn’t the same thing.

Back