What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin AP Servo install

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
If I were to upgrade my current AP servos to Garmin and the current install has fully populated DB-9 connectors, would I just have to run the CAN bus GF120T-24CANB cable from the G5 head to the servos and reuse the existing wiring for everything else?
Figs

I believe the answer is probably, but it depends on exactly what wiring is already there.

I was able to reuse power, ground and CWS/disconnect wires to my new GSA 28 roll servo. I also reused power, ground and CWS/disconnect, plus trim wiring between the mixer/governor for my new pitch servo.

I believe most people use Stein's $0.80/ft M27500 shielded twisted pair (or equivalent) for CAN BUS, and not the GF120T-24CANB.

I needed new brackets for both servos.

I can't recall whether the G5 alone plus servos is all you need or not, but I sort of think you need/want a GMC too.

I believe the answer is probably, but it depends on exactly what wiring is already there.

I was able to reuse power, ground and CWS/disconnect wires to my new GSA 28 roll servo. I also reused power, ground and CWS/disconnect, plus trim wiring between the mixer/governor for my new pitch servo.

I believe most people use Stein's $0.80/ft M27500 shielded twisted pair (or equivalent) for CAN BUS, and not the GF120T-24CANB.

I needed new brackets for both servos.

I can't recall whether the G5 alone plus servos is all you need or not, but I sort of think you need/want a GMC too.

Thanks, I probably would as well as the GAD29 for the connectivity to the 375 navigator. The current TT gemini works well except for an occasional porpoising effect when flying holds or procedure turns prior to coupled mode that I cannot resolve and in rs232 mode the TT does not support the Aera 760 VNAV mode. Problem is it all starts to add up $$ wise. Just thinking ahead.
Figs

Figs. You will be very happy when it's all settled.

Many of us have G3X systems with the CAN Bus installed with standard MIL twisted-pair shielded wire, prior to Garmin specifying CAN-specific cable. These systems work fine and Garmin doesn't recommend changing out working MIL shielded wire for CAN specific cable if everything works fine. In fact the original Garmin installation instructions also didn't have the CAN bus wire shields bonded to the backshells at intermediate nodes. Rather at the end nodes only. The change to CAN bus fancy wire and having every node shield bonded at every LRU came later after trouble arose with sloppy workmanship. Garmin has to work to the lowest common denominator and there was some funky high-school level car stereo wiring going on. So if you have a shielded twisted-pair wire in place that can be used for the CAN Bus you might want to try and go with that before pulling the newer fancy stuff. While CAN bus wire is usually two-conductor shielded twisted pair wire, the CAN re-purposed shielded wire can have more conductors as long as the extra wires are abandoned and you pick a pair of wires that are paired and twisted together. Treat it like a 2-conductor shielded CAN Bus wire that's fatter and heavier at that point. By all means add the GMC mode controller as the G5 autopilot control interface will drive you mad in comparison. With the GNX 375 and GAD 29 thrown in the mix you will have a nice seamless system that works smooth. If you keep the aera 760 (suggested) you can also set it up to talk to the GNX 375 through MapMX format basically making the aera a very functional MFD including ability to display geo-referenced approach plates and support two-way flight plan transfer.

Hope to see you at Petit Jean again this year.

Last edited:
Figs. You will be very happy when it's all settled.

Many of us have G3X systems with the CAN Bus installed with standard MIL twisted-pair shielded wire, prior to Garmin specifying CAN-specific cable. These systems work fine and Garmin doesn't recommend changing out working MIL shielded wire for CAN specific cable if everything works fine. In fact the original Garmin installation instructions also didn't have the CAN bus wire shields bonded to the backshells at intermediate nodes. Rather at the end nodes only. The change to CAN bus fancy wire and having every node shield bonded at every LRU came later after trouble arose with sloppy workmanship. Garmin has to work to the lowest common denominator and there was some funky high-school level car stereo wiring going on. So if you have a shielded twisted-pair wire in place that can be used for the CAN Bus you might want to try and go with that before pulling the newer fancy stuff. While CAN bus wire is usually two-conductor shielded twisted pair wire, the CAN re-purposed shielded wire can have more conductors as long as the extra wires are abandoned and you pick a pair of wires that are paired and twisted together. Treat it like a 2-conductor shielded CAN Bus wire that's fatter and heavier at that point. By all means add the GMC mode controller as the G5 autopilot control interface will drive you mad in comparison. With the GNX 375 and GAD 29 thrown in the mix you will have a nice seamless system that works smooth. If you keep the aera 760 (suggested) you can also set it up to talk to the GNX 375 through MapMX format basically making the aera a very functional MFD including ability to display geo-referenced approach plates and support two-way flight plan transfer.

Hope to see you at Petit Jean again this year.
Jim
Thanks for the info on the twisted pair. I already have the 760 connected to the 375 with both MapMX and Connext and it works great as the larger screen MFD and for approaches as you mention, and it all talks to my D100 for the GPS HSI as does the SL30 for VOR/ILS.
The 760 is also connected via RS232 to the D100, TT AP and the SL30 for both GNAV guidance and frequency upload which is useful as the 760 nav database contains all of the small private airports that the 375 nav database does not providing easy DirectTo functionality. Upgrading to the G5 would give me the same backup ADI functionality as the Gemini, improved 760 AP functionality, a dedicated HSI (versus split screen on the D100), and with the GMC 507 a much more user friendly user interface. Just figuring out how many $$ and how much rewiring work.
Plan on seeing you at PJ.
Figs

Back