What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gaps in Wing Tip Closeout

Baron71

Hi everybody,
I just took over an RV-12is project in progress (luckily a complete kit w/o engine and avionics:)) in the German version of an EAB. My first challenge is the wing tip closeout. I think every angle has been bent as per the instructions. Still there are gaps as you can see in the pictures attached that seem too big to be covered by paint sometime.
Since the holes were, to my understanding, all predrilled by Vans, I can't figure out what went wrong. Bending the lids further inboard or further outboard would likely only shift the gaps to a more horizontal or vertical position but not move them inside the wing.
Is this by design or does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this? I am happy to drill open all the rivets if I knew the reason for the gaps.
Best,
Michael

Attachments

• Downside.jpeg
    Downside.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Upside.jpeg
    Upside.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 137
This is a finish issue that many of us have commented about on this forum. It’s unfortunately the worse fit & finish aspect of the build. You’re not doing anything wrong. When you paint the aircraft, mix an epoxy/flox mix and seal the gaps for a smooth finish, as many of us have.

That’s a normal RV12 wingtip. Some people don like it and fill all the gaps. Personally I’m not bothered by it, but if it worries you, you can search out some posts by builders who have covered them.
Cheers, Dave

This is a finish issue that many of us have commented about on this forum. It’s unfortunately the worse fit & finish aspect of the build. You’re not doing anything wrong. When you paint the aircraft, mix an epoxy/flox mix and seal the gaps for a smooth finish, as many of us have.
Thanks Bob. That I will do.

Redundant, but yes-- the "cheese grater wing tips" offend one's efforts at building a respectable airplane, and are easily & quickly "repaired" when you're doing other epoxy/flox work. Should be a standard instruction. And while you're at it: if you install wingtip nav lights, put the epoxy/flox on the light fairing, not on the wingtip (as the KAI instructs).

-Chris
RV-12iS almost at the paperwork stage

Just have John Stahr do this if you are lucky enough to get him to paint your plane 😀.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
Back