What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch - FIS-B TFR Display issue

bjdecker

Well Known Member
Ambassador
During a flight to northwest Arkansas today, I noticed that the PFD (GDU 460) was not displaying an upcoming TFR on either the MAP or WX:TFR page, but it was visible on the GTN 650xi and MFD (GDU 465).

In my system/aircraft the FIS-B data is received by a GTX 345 and shared with the GTN 650xi and both GDUs. The MFD (GDU 465) also gets weather data from Sirius XM. By forcing the GDU 465 to only use FIS-B data, I was able to duplicate the issue on it also.

All of the data received was healthy, current and displayed on the GTN 650xi. After about an hour into the flight, the outer boundary of the TFR was displayed on the GDU -- it didn't match the image on the GTN.

Screen grabs attached, Email sent to G3Xpert.

Some additional data:

G3X Touch units running with v9.31
GTN Xi is v20.33
GTX is (main) 2.80, (ADSB) v3.51

I would not like to see a fellow pilot get caught by inaccurate TFR information.

We all know the caveats that go with in-cockpit weather data (FIS-B, etc.) and how we aren't supposed to rely on it for planning purposes, yaddah, yaddah. But still...

Attachments

• IMG_5710.jpg
    IMG_5710.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5711.jpg
    IMG_5711.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5712.jpg
    IMG_5712.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5713.jpg
    IMG_5713.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5714.jpg
    IMG_5714.jpg
    619 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5715.jpg
    IMG_5715.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5716.jpg
    IMG_5716.jpg
    669.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
...another update...

Before the flight on Thursday, the Data Link:FIS-B status page indicated that the system (G3X+GTX 345) had received fresh FIS-B data for all the products (incl. TFR). The G3X's just don't want to display any TFRs until some period of time has past since first reception -- 1/2 hour, 45 minutes? Dunno...

I see there is another update available for the GTX 345 (2.85) but the release notes do not indicate a relevant fix/upgrade for this issue. I did notice that the GTN Xi version 20.33 did include some kind of fix for this -- but it's only applicable to the GTN. (excerpt -- GTN Xi Series Main Software Version 20.33 contains the following changes:• Fixed an issue with daily NOTAM-TFRs that were only being displayed on the first day they wereissued. Now they are displayed until the FIS-B ground system stops providing them.)

So...has anyone else seen this, is it just my configuration?

I've experienced this as well once and almost busted a TFR.. I wasn't able to track down the cause.. but once Approach contacted me, i went to the Wx > TFR map and it appeared. Went back to the Map section.. and it magically appeared on the map instantly.

I have noticed similar buggy behavior from the G3X ADS-B products display, frankly a fairly big safety concern. I've seen the TFR non-display amongst others.

I've got an open ticket in with G3Xpert for non-sense/corrupted AIRMET display, most recent icing displayed as mountain obscuration and turbulence as IFR. Luckily I can display the correct information on Garmin Pilot on my phone, they seem to have the coding correct...just not in my very expensive avionics.

Back