What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X/GTN650 Question

asw20c

Well Known Member
When I was working with Stein to build my panel my plan was to have the system capable of both WAAS GPS and VOR/ILS navigation/approaches. I have one of those Bob Archer antennas in my wingtip for this purpose.
I'm ready to connect all my antennas (there are a lot of them) into the system and I think everything is pretty self-evident, except for my NAV antenna. There are no connectors on either the GTN650 or the GDU460 displays for a NAV antenna. The GTN650 has a BNC connector for "COM" and a TNC connector for "GPS". The backs of the GDU460 displays have a BNC connector for "Video" and another for "GPS". Again, no connector for a NAV antenna.
I looked through the installation manuals for both the GTN650 and the G3X systems and couldn't find an answer to this question. In appendix E of the GTN650 manual there were a few different antenna configurations for which they offered advice, but none fit my setup. The best I could mine from Appendix E was that perhaps I need to use a diplexer to tie together the GPS and VOR/ILS antennas? There's probably a simple solution but I couldn't find it in the installation manuals. They seem to be written for those already well-versed in avionics, but I'm not one of them so if the answer is there I didn't pick up on it. Anyone else have to solve this same problem? What's the solution?

From the manual.

Looks like BigD beat me to it.

Do you have the correct back plate for the 650?

Attachments

• GTN650 Installation Manual Rev R.pdf
    69.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 2.pdf
    54.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Back