What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X + dual GSU25 backup datapath

jwyatt

Well Known Member
For a 2-GDU, 2-GSU system, is each GSU connected to a GDU for redundant data (ie., GSU #1 -> PFD, GSU #2 -> MFD, via RS232) ... or is only the primary GSU connected via RS232?

I've dug for a few hours and can't find a concise answer...I have a scribble in my notepad indicating to connect them both, but no attribution to where I got that detail.

Why not use a G5 as a backup?
* It speaks CANbus, so it will drive everything if the GSU25 poops out (almost -- no true airspeed, wind, or AOA)
* It uses different hardware and software from the GSU25, thus giving some protection from common mode failure
* And it has its own display, so it keeps working in case of total electrical failure that wipes out all the displays; or in case something killls the CANbus.

That's how my RV-9A is equipped...

yep

Why not use a G5 as a backup?
* It speaks CANbus, so it will drive everything if the GSU25 poops out (almost -- no true airspeed, wind, or AOA)
* It uses different hardware and software from the GSU25, thus giving some protection from common mode failure
* And it has its own display, so it keeps working in case of total electrical failure that wipes out all the displays; or in case something killls the CANbus.

That's how my RV-9A is equipped...

Also, "Man with two watches never know what time it is."

Back